Is a pool even possible in my yard?

donan1212

Jul 18, 2020
upstate NY
Hello! I am from upstate NY and live in my Grandfather's old home on a mountain. I have two kids (9 and 10) and would LOVE to get them a pool so badly. Since it's late in the season, I am hoping to get one for next season.

Here is the problem - my yard is DAMP for a good portion of the year. WAY back on my property in the woods are actual wetlands. I do have a small pond. The front area of my yard forms a huge puddle in the spring and actually freezes over in the winter (my kids love to "skate" on it!). I am hoping to put in a french drain to help with the puddle.

The back area of my lawn would be great for a pool in the summer, but in the spring and Fall it can turn to a mucky mess.

Is there any possible way for me to actually get a pool in my yard without spending a fortune and that wouldn't damage said pool? Or is my land just not good for a pool?

The only area of my yard that doesn't get muddy and wet is near my septic so that's a no go.

hey Donan and Welcome !!
The only area of my yard that doesn't get muddy and wet is near my septic so that's a no go
In reading your post, my mind was already going towards poor draining soil. It sounded like rain water not going down, as opposed to ground water coming up. Stating that your septic area is dry definitely gives that idea some traction.

The septic area is dug down/around and replaced with sand so the cesspool(s) can drain. If it’s good there and nowhere else it can mean that you have soil that doesn’t like to drain well, for example due to a higher clay content. Sandy soil on the other hand drains as fast as it get wet. A friend well above the ground water table had a small pond that always formed on his yard and the solution was to dig down until they got to sand and fill the 2 ft wide hole with sand. The pond never returned. So it could be as simple and one or more of those key spots need something similar. French drains or the equivalent would be a more involved second choice but also doable for most areas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.