Is >10 weeks without the need to shock unusual?

You may want to check the actual salt level of the pool. You will be surprised at the salt level.
Adding chlorine (in any form) and/or muriatic acid will result in the salt level increasing.

What is her sensitivity?
If it's the ability to taste it, tell her to stop drinking the pool water.
If it were only that easy ("stop drinking the pool water"). It's a childhood thing that I have to respect. We did spend time in a SWG pool in Florida last winter and she seemed OK. Maybe there's a opening for another run at it.

Even with lowering the water in the winter time for closing, after 4 years of adding chlorine, muriatic, etc., you may already have a salt level about where a "salt water" pool is normally at.

Reactions: proavia
Sounds a little like you are mixing protocols. Some TFP, some pool store, some convenience. A truly TFP will not require a drain/refill because CYA or CH gets out of control.
Appreciate that point of view gingrbredman! I'm learning and evolving. I'll stop the algaecide and trust the guidance of this community. Already commented that I'll finish the year with pucks then start liquid next season, maybe with a Stenner pump.

Reactions: gingrbredman
If it were only that easy ("stop drinking the pool water"). It's a childhood thing that I have to respect. We did spend time in a SWG pool in Florida last winter and she seemed OK. Maybe there's a opening for another run at it.
Maybe exposure to other SWG pools would help. Of course, no mention that they are SWG before using, only after.
Many find that a "salt water pool" has a soft water feel to it and doesn't dry out ones skin as much. Some even add salt to a non-SWG pool for that benefit.

Also, test your pool water for salt. You may be surprised to learn what the salt level actually is.

Reactions: Meon2wheels
If my wife had a mental aversion to salt pools, pointing out that our current pool has a salinity level only 1/3 or 1/2 of a salt pool might drive her to not use the pool at all or ask for the water to be changed out instead of agreeing to a SWCG. >.>

Appreciate that point of view gingrbredman! I'm learning and evolving. I'll stop the algaecide and trust the guidance of this community. Already commented that I'll finish the year with pucks then start liquid next season, maybe with a Stenner pump.
My CYA levels are usually low at the end of the summer so I chlorinate with pucks over through the winter. Don't worry about using your chemicals in a first in, first out situation. Pucks will last a long time in a dry bucket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.