Iron Test Kit

From Metals - Further Reading

The most economical way of testing for metals in your pool water is take it to a Pool Store and have them test it.

Taylor has the K-1716 - Iron Test Kit that sells for around $100.

Taylor Technologies also has the K-1264 Commercial (uses Midget comparators), Copper, 0.2-3.0 ppm/Iron, 0-2.0 ppm that sells for around $150.

Curious, is there a specific reason you are wanting to test for iron? Are you seeing staining or water discoloration? Are you on a well?
I have stains which I tested using the Jack’s Stain Identification kit. Application of Jack’s Stain Solution #2 followed by Jack’s Stain Solution #1 (‘Step 6’ of the identification procedure) lifted the stain completely where applied indicating iron although strangely I didn’t see any result when I tested with crushed vitamin C tablets.

I’m going to treat with Jack’s Magic Iron Scale Treatment and assuming the stain is removed I plan on doing a water exchange using the tarp method. I want to be sure I won’t just be filling with more iron water. I don’t know where the iron came from originally. I suspect it was introduced with the original PB’s water fill from a nearby fire hydrant. The water had a brownish-greenish color to it right from the hose. Either that or it may have been introduced with the original PB’s dosage of salt, I don’t know the brand that was used, Chlorox maybe? If my tap water (we’re not on a well) contains iron I guess I’m going to have to find some way to filter it.

Had both my pool and tap water tested for iron at the pool store. Both tested 0.1 ppm. Based on that I plan on doing a complete water exchange after the stain removal treatment, refilling with straight tap water, no filtration of any kind.
A little surprising that the pool water also tested at negligible iron. I'm guessing that any iron that was there is now adhered to the pool in the form of a stain and topping off from the tap and with rain water over the last couple of years has resulted in an iron free pool now?

That is strange. Sorry, I forgot to post that link I mentioned yesterday. My concern about the tap testing at .1ppm is that it may continue to increase once you add about 8,600 gallons. Time will tell I suppose. But if you do see signs of color changing or stains, have a polyfill DIY filter set-up ready to go. Circulate your water through the polyfilll to capture the iron. Many positive results. Do a quick YouTube search and you'll see.

Also see: From brown to 😍😍. Thank you polyfil!

Can I use sodium thiosulfate and muriatic acid to lower the FC and PH for the Jack’s Magic iron treatment?

Thanks. Just one more. Yeah right. When do I put the Polyquat 60 in? As soon as I get below 3ppm FC, before I begin treatment? After adding the Stain Solution #2, before the 2 day - 2 week wait? Some other place in the process?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Follow the info linked below and you should do well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.