Introduction

TroyR

May 19, 2019
Michigan
Hello everyone,
My name is Troy and I live in Michigan. Purchased a home in the fall that has an above ground pool that looked to be pretty well maintained.

Although I have never cared for a pool, I am a Water Operator for the city I live in and consistently use chemicals and calculations for water treatment so I believe I’ll be able to figure out a lot just with my work experience.

I was recommended by the old home owner to bring samples down to the near by pool store which I may do for year 1, but I am very interested in the BBB method.

I think I’m going to order one of the Taylor test kits this coming weekend.

Troy

Reactions: TroyR
Ohhhhh Troy.... you can do this without the pool store, honest! Lots of folks walk in to the pool store for the "free" water testing and walk out with hundreds of dollars of questionable chemicals and potions.

With your own tester (no one cares more about your test quality than you!) and a few basic ingredients you can pick up at the market, you can have a sparkling clear clean oasis!

Welcome to TFP! Home of the Trouble Free Pool Care method!
(psssst..."BBB" term isn't used anymore)

Maddie :flower:

Thanks all
I will probably order the TF100 instead, are any of the add-on’s recommended?

And I guess I am curious what my first steps should be when opening my pool up in the next couple weeks
1. Fill?
2. Test chlorine & cya ?

Then that will tell me my next step?

Would appreciate some basic direction

1) order TF-100 (or XL if the water is green already?)
2) Add Speed Stir device (NO one regrets this)
3) When test kit arrives- perform full set- FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA
4) List numbers here and describe water appearance..... we'll help you!

In the meantime, scoop out any solid debris carefully so as to not damage the liner.
Start reading PoolSchool--> ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry , FC/CYA Levels , SLAM Process

Is the water green now? How many gallons do you think it is? Can you tell us the size dimensions?

Ordered Tf100 with speed stir

Water looks clear. Bugs are starting to show up on the surface so I’ve been skimming them off

Believe the pool holds 15,500 gal

It’s still about 8 inches short of full, so I think I will fill it, brush, vacuum, and start running the filter tomorrow as I am waiting for the test kit

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just keep adding liquid chlorine... hopefully you're just losing FC to the sun and not organics.
And i'd also add some more CYA.... see if you can add about 20ppm of (using PoolMath to guide you) and test the CYA again tomorrow. That should bring you up to 30-40ppm of CYA.
Then based on this : FC/CYA Levels you can keep your FC in line.

So I added some CYA to the skimmer sock, and a gallon of 10% chlorine Re test tomorrow

One thing, we’ve vacuumed the bottom the last two days and today it looks like there’s sand covering the bottom again. The filter was new in 2014 , thoughts?

Does the sand push around like sweeping the floor with a broom or go poof when you disturb it?

Hello and Welcome to TFP!!

Please follow the FC/CYA Levels to be sure the water stays sanitary and algae free. I fear the chlorine level in the pool has been too low and causing algae to take hold. Even if you can't see it, algae may be growing, dying and making that brown stuff on the bottom.

The brown stuff isn't a filter issue, it is a chemistry (lack of enough chlorine) issue. With your water background, don't be tempted with floculants or clarifiers. Chlorine is your best friend.

Using a cover while the pool isn't used will help you retain heat in the water and help reduce the amount of bugs and pollen getting into the water.

I brought my CYA up to 40 yesterday and started running the filter all night and into today

I then brought FC up to 17 (aimed for 16) at around 10:00 am this morning

I vacuumed the pool and re tested a couple other times in there but am still at 15 FC and 40 CYA at 2:30 pm

When should I re apply chlorine? When I get to like 12-14 FC?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support