Introduction and new owner - Pool and Hot Tub

RS.business

Oct 26, 2019
Southern Ontario
Hi everyone,

I am hoping there is enough info in the signature to give a background on the recent installation. :) Located just outside of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

In 2019, my wife and I decided to redo our backyard. All four kids are between ages 2-11, so we figure it was time we installed a pool... and hot tub (for the adults, lol!) The 11 year old and 8 year old swim regularly, (red cross certified), 4 year old and 2 old have started as well.

Hot tub was filled first, and used Jan 1, 2020. I had barely touched the surface of this site, and have been relying on the pool store testing, test strips, etc to maintain hot tub chemistry. Wintering in the hot tub has been amazing!

During this time, the AG pool was constructed, but no equipment was installed, so just a pool, about 2 ft of water, and winter cover. On April 16, staff came to my house, installed the pump and filter and SWG (no heater installed yet, about 2 weeks away) and I was asked to fill the pool to the 3/4 line of the skimmer. Filled by April 17, 2020.

Used the leaf rake, got all the visible leaves out, but I realize there is some sediment I can't get out. Still brushed the pool, backwashed the filter, (didn't rinse, as I had not read that info yet) and started the filter at 10pm at night.

Since the nights here are about 3 deg Celsius (37 F.), I've been running the filter overnight (about 10pm to 8am).

At this time, I have not tested the pool water, nor cracked open the supplied testing kit, as the pool sales person mentioned it is still to cold for algae to grow. I won't have to worry about that until May or so when the temperature gets warmer. I trust him, but... it is still better verify and check info, isn't it?

This is a great site, I've got PoolMath on my phone, and I LOVE IT.

Thanks,
RS

Welcome RS! Glad you found your way here! If you’ve done any reading on TFP you will notice that we love our pools and spas so much that we do our own testing. We don’t mix pool store testing and advice with TFP methods as it can get really confusing and end up costing more money following pool store advice. We trust the simple, yet tried and true method that thousands of pool owners have successfully achieved learning and following TFP methods. With that said I fully recommend a TF100 test kit, unless your pool company gave you a Taylor K2006c. Most pool companies give a little OTO kit that only allows you to test chlorine up to 5ppm and ph. Can you tell us what kit they gave you?
We also love pictures. We’d love to see your new pool and hot tub!
There are plenty of folks here who love answering questions and helping however they can. That’s the number one reason we recommend one of the two test kits mentioned above, accurate readings from a reliable kit.
Anyway, welcome! So glad you are here!