Bronze Supporter
Apr 16, 2019
Bremen, GA, 65 m west of Atlanta
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I know I don't even have my pool set up yet, but I was wondering if I should go on and upgrade the 1000 gph pump that comes with the pool to this one Amazon.com : Intex 28635EG Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 1500 GPH Pump Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Gateway

It's 1500 gph, so that's 25 gpm. Canister filter. I just don't know if I should pull the trigger on it now or later. I suppose I could use the old filter pump to run a cleaner at some point.

there's a 2500 gph model as well, for about $10 more.

The one that comes with the pool is 1000 gph, which isn't much.

Having upgraded ours. I would personally make the jump to min 2500gph.
Do you want cartridge, or is a sand filter a possibility?
Long term costs and maintenance are lower on sand filter ?. The biggest downfall is the backwashing, which could be as infrequently as monthly or up to weekly.
We actually don't have to do ours but about every 6wks or so, as long as the pool is covered.
Cartridges have to be cleaned or replaced as dirty.

Upgrading my pump was one of the first moves I made on my pool journey.
10$ more for the 2500 gph would be the way to go.
Sand filter is also very nice, another of my early upgrades, but is another 100$.
My motor died long ago but I still use the same sand filter today that I bought 10 years ago. Adding up the number of filters I have saved over the years the sand filter has basically paid for itself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.