ScorpioDan

Jun 21, 2021
Toledo, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everyone. New to the forum and after browsing through countless ones, I've landed here due to the volume of actual knowledge that is here. I need some assistance with deciding what to do with my setup.

Specs are as follows:

15 X 48 Intex Metal Side pool with vinyl liner.
Two intake lines and one return. All have been converted to 1.5" (by cutting bigger holes and replacing bulkheads)

Pump has been upgraded to 3000 GPH sand filter 12" with glass media (~85lbs)

I have a Hayward through wall skimmer being delivered tomorrow since the pool does not have one and that is cheaper than the hang over the side style.

The two intakes come together in a tee and go to the pump. I will be installing a Hayward 4 way ball valve by this weekend. I am conflicted on two things.

Attaching the two intake lines together as a loop and leaving them off while just running the skimmer full time or attaching the two intakes to one side of the ball valve and skimmer on the other. The ball valve allows control of flow from port 1 or 2 so it is simple to get full power from skimmer during vacuuming. If the second option seems best.....where should I install the skimmer? I was thinking approximately 5 foot from one of the intakes to maximize water filtration but could install anywhere.

The pump will be hard plumbed with pvc from pool and short hoses to pump to tolerate movement of the walls. Hopefully someone has some experience with such a build. Thank you

I plugged one of my intakes, and connected other one to skimmer with a tee. I used the valve on the unplugged one at 1/4 or so open, in case my water level ever dropped below skimmer. I traveled a lot then, and didn’t want to chance pump running dry.

I plugged one of my intakes, and connected other one to skimmer with a tee. I used the valve on the unplugged one at 1/4 or so open, in case my water level ever dropped below skimmer. I traveled a lot then, and didn’t want to chance pump running dry.
I currently have both plugged and am just running the skimmer due to a series of storms and rainfall that doesn't seem to stop overfilling my pool with water and dust. Vacuuming has been a daily routine but luckily for the skimmer, it is an easier process. Thank you for your time in answering. It is appreciated.

place your skimmer so that prevailing wind helps blow things toward it.
That is great advice. I installed it next to my furthest intake from the return line. The return is a swivel that has about a 60° angle to it which can be directed wherever it is needed. I have it pushing toward the pool wall opposite the skimmer which makes the water spiral and helps push debris toward it. It seems to be working great so far. The wind here is....well moody to say the least lol. Thank you for your input. It is appreciated.

Reactions: Pv2
I just bought a skimmer for my 14' intex pool and will be plugging one of my intakes as well, did you just plug it and leave the hose connected? and you say you connected the other one to the skimmer with a tee- what is a tee? i'm wondering if i need that.. Thank you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.