intex pool first year on SWG, GREEN POOL! HELP!

DSC_0523.jpg

Yesterday very green as the picture i posted showed. We addedd muriatic acid, stablizier, and bleach This is what we have this afternoon. I havnt tested yet becasue i dont have a test kit and my veery good friend who showed me this website has been coming ovr and testing. I know we arent there yet but it takes progress!! im going to pot two more i couldnt get it to let me post 3 pics in one post

DSC_0525.jpg

Thank you so much Mary for walking me through everything and testing for me until my kit comes. Thaank you also to everyone on this board for the welcome invite and the great info i have learned too. SWG is still turned off and will stay off until i am told by this board to turn it back on and figure out how much salt to put back in it.

in your second pic your water looks a little low it should be just above the return jet also if that is stabilizer in that panty hose you dont want to let that lay against the side of the pool as it tends to discolor the liner, if it was me i would have the pump running 24/7 to thouroughly mix the chemicles....but jmo

fast1971chevelle said:
in your second pic your water looks a little low it should be just above the return jet also if that is stabilizer in that panty hose you dont want to let that lay against the side of the pool as it tends to discolor the liner, if it was me i would have the pump running 24/7 to thouroughly mix the chemicles....but jmo

Its not up against the side of the pool its about 2 inches away from it.. i think it was the angle i took the picture :) and I am running my pump 24/7.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Based on the photos of before and now, it looks like you have made some progress. Keep your FC (bleach) levels up and it will loose the green and turn more a more milky grey-blue/white. Once all the algae is dead (white stuff in water) you will need to focus on filtering your water. Do not expect the stuff to go away soon with your small Intex cartridge filter. You will need to keep an eye on your flow through the filter and change (swap with a cleaned one) when the flow slows down. I assumed you do not have a pressure gauge. When I am filtering for algae, I like to change the return water's flow up to the surface so it makes noise (gurgling or splashing), when the pool makes less noise (or none) you know you need to swap filters and clean the one you removed. You could even zip tie the return hose to frame top rail so it makes more noise, use the winter plug in the return fitting to keep the water in the pool.

Have patience and keep your bleach levels up until your water is clear. You might consider upgrading your filter when you can.

techguy said:
Based on the photos of before and now, it looks like you have made some progress. Keep your FC (bleach) levels up and it will loose the green and turn more a more milky grey-blue/white. Once all the algae is dead (white stuff in water) you will need to focus on filtering your water. Do not expect the stuff to go away soon with your small Intex cartridge filter. You will need to keep an eye on your flow through the filter and change (swap with a cleaned one) when the flow slows down. I assumed you do not have a pressure gauge. When I am filtering for algae, I like to change the return water's flow up to the surface so it makes noise (gurgling or splashing), when the pool makes less noise (or none) you know you need to swap filters and clean the one you removed. You could even zip tie the return hose to frame top rail so it makes more noise, use the winter plug in the return fitting to keep the water in the pool.

Have patience and keep your bleach levels up until your water is clear. You might consider upgrading your filter when you can.

Next year will probably be upgrading the filter because we added the swg this year. Yea i know it will take some time to get to normal like a few weeks. Right now im rinsing cartridges til the ones i ordered come in and yes i shouldnt do that but i have no choice at this time but i figured its better than nothing.

It sounds like you have some reasonable expectations. I said some of the things I did as it seems some people who post here expect to be able to go from green swamp to crystal clear overnight when in truth, it took more than overnight for the pool time to get as bad as it was.

DE will help the sand filter if you are not getting your pressures to rise faster with sand alone. I have never had a sand filter but it seems if you are motivated, you can add DE and vacuum to filter. Yes, you will need to backwash more often but it also means you got more junk out of the pool in less time. It also means less time between green and clean. So, if you are willing to invest the active time, you can get it clean faster... or you can less the filter do it (without your active DE and vacuuming) over a longer period of time.

I say this based on my experiences with my DE filter. If I get a bad bloom, I don't have the choice, I need to dedicate my time to getting it clean. I can't run the pump 24/7 and let the water clear over a week. I need to be actively cleaning the pool until it's clean. If I have a lot of debris in my pool, my pressure will go from 14 to 24 in less than 30 minutes and I must bump the DE and monitor the pressure rise. If I add a vacuum head and suction directly to my filter (my only choice based on my pump/filter combo) I have to bump every 15 minutes and change the DE two or three times in a weekend.

The winter plugs are the black plastict "hats" intex included with their pools to block the water flow if a hose is removed.

Mine looked like these:
images

The zip tieing of the hose to the top rail was so the water was creating a "water fall" to get back in to the pool and you can see the flow (or lack of). This allows you to keep and eye on the flow from a further distance. In my case, while I was gardening on the other side of the yard.

When I am actively working to solve the green in my pool, I would start the pump but I could not always hear when the pump was not able to pump. The pump makes more noise as the pressures rise due to a dirty filter but sometimes I could not hear it. I have used a couple methods to tell when my flow slowed due a dirty filter. One is the method I described, another was to take the return eyeball in the pool and point the water to go up to the surface and make more noise. My "best" method was to attached a fountain to the return. The fountain (when the filter was clean) would shoot 10-15 feet in the air. When the fountain got to less than 5 feet, I knew the filter needed my attention. I could see this change from inside the house.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.