Intex above ground with set.

Malbea

Jul 26, 2020
Katy, Texas
Hi all. Brand new user here so please bear with me.

We have just set up a 16x32 foot intex above ground with an Swg. I’m currently in the process of finishing up the water setup.

I added salt yesterday afternoon about this time. Walked around the pool brushing the salt around until it dissolved. I’ve run the filter (not the chlorinator) for the last 24 hrs as recommended in my instructions.
According to the manual it’s now time to start the chlorinator but it’s pretty vague on how long to run the chlorinator.

It’s taken about 4 days to get the pool filled, the filter running (I added a Hayward skimmer and had plumbing issues that took a day or so to work out), and the salt added.

Now I’ve noticed that the inside and bottom of the pool is slimy which I assume is algae buildup.

So for my questions,

1. should I add chlorine to the pool initially? Is there a calculator for how much based on my pool size?

2. do I run the chlorinator instead of adding chlorine? Or do I run the chlorinator in addition to adding chlorine?

3. my filter has a chlorinator boost function also. Do I go ahead and run the boost? If so, how long? With or without adding chlorine?

Thanks in advance for your help and patience!!

Marc
Katy, Tx

Hey there! Congrats on your new pool!
to answer your questions:
1- yes - add liquid chlorine at least 5ppm asap
use the chlorine portion of this chart when dosing w/ liquid chlorine FC/CYA Levels when u get the swg producing you can switch to the swg portion of the chart
& use PoolMath to calculate your additions.
2- both - that swg isn’t meant to increase your fc to target from zero & will not be able to produce enough fc to overcome algae.
3- boost just makes it run for an extended period of time. That’s too slow to catch up with algae. It’s always growing
It also just kills the already somewhat short life of the cell.
While u r working out the runtimes for your swg don’t hesitate to supplement with liquid chlorine.
You must remain above min fc for your cya lest algae & other nasties will grow
Please readABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
& check out the pool school articles.
Also get yourself a good test kit so u can properly maintain your new pool. SeeTest Kits Compared the Tf100 is the best value

Now I have a question for you - have you added any stabilizer/cya?
If not you need to add at least 30 ppm to start ( put it in a sock, tie a knot in it & hang it infront of the jet. Squeeze the sock every now and then so it dissolves faster.
You need about 60 ppm total but its best to do it in steps so u don’t over shoot.
Test before adding more.
Again use PoolMath to calculate amounts.
Also if u end up needing to SLAM Process because of your time spent without fc 30ppm cya makes that easier

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.