Intermatic PF1102T timer/freeze guard on a Superflo VS pump?

Jul 2, 2013
DFW Texas
Had a power outage a while back, when the power was restored hours later I turned on the pump and there was a loud pop sound then a quiet hum from the motor but nothing was pumping. The pump was almost 9 years old, I said - screw it, not gonna bother trying to troubleshoot and replaced it with a Superflo VS because we've never had a variable speed pump. Connected it, and there was power to the pump initially but I could not get it to start. We've got an on/off outdoor switch that cuts the power off to the pump, so I turned that off, checked the connections and turned the switch back on. There was no power to the pump this time. Wondered if the outage had damaged the timer/freeze guard? It was almost 20 years old, which, from what I could find, is about how long they last anyway so I bought a Intermatic PF1102T. That is what was there originally. Then I wondered if that was a problem? The pump has its own timer. I need the freeze guard, is there a reason to also have a timer with it?

Have not checked this yet, but is there a possibility the switch that shuts off power to the pump and timer was also damaged and needs replacing?

Col,

VS pumps get constant AC power, you don't generally turn them on/off with a timer..

The pump itself has a control panel where everything is turned on/off..

The SuperFlo VS pump does not have built in freeze protection... the simplest approach is to just run the pump 24/7 when you expect a freeze... Running at low speed will prevent refreezing and would cost less than $2O bucks, even if you let it run all month...

The only other option that I can see is to connect one of the external control cables to the contacts of a freeze protection circuit so that when freeze control came on it would then turn on the pump. To do this you would have buy the external cable for the SuperFlo and be able to wire a small circuit.

Please let me know if you need additional details..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim - thanks very much for that info. I'm also in DFW and the freeze control was good in that it was brainless. However, during a real cold spell I've never not thought about the pump running, so I can do it on my own. OK, going to take the timer back for a refund.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.