Interesting pool leak

C

curtbrad

Hi,
I have a leak in my pool, and have been able to point it down too the skimmer area. The lowers until the water level gets even with the pool opening for the skimmer. When I look inside the skimmer (where you put the basket) and its still 1/2 full. So i am a bit confused if the skimmer was leaking I would think inside the skimmer would be empty as well. I am going to fill up the pool again and then use food coloring and see if I can find it leaking....really weird

Thanks!

Curt

Curt,

Skimmers can leak around the skimmer and into the ground.. Not sure the kind of pool you have, but a lot of gunite pools have this problem.. The skimmer itself is OK, but the connection between the pool gunite/plaster will have pulled apart or have cracks that allow the water to leak out.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yea I do have a plaster in ground pool. I was going to overfill the pool to see if the water leaked between the skimmer body and the plaster it sits in. The water drains about 3/4 down. The basket is usually totally submerged with a full pool, but no only 1-2 inches on it. If the skimmer was leaking below that (like the pipes) the water should be empty right? I know water always levels out, so I am trying to see which pipe is even with the water level now...as even though the skimmer sucks from the bottom, it will only drain as far as the pipe that was leaking....if that makes sense?? hope I am not confusing anyone....lolol

Curt,

Your normal water level should be right in middle of the skimmer mouth...

Keep in mind the water does not have to leak into a "pipe".. Any crack or hole between the skimmer and the gunite/plaster can leak right into the ground. I have seen skimmers that have been cracked due to ground movement, where the crack is in the wall of the skimmer but still above the skimmer basket. It can leak in a number of different places.

Jim R.

Copy all....I am in the middle of filling up my pool (with the auto fill), and that sets it exactly too the middle of the skimmer. Turn off the water, and start food coloring through the skimmer basket first.
Thanks again....I filled out my signature but its not showing up...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.