In The Industry
Jun 16, 2021
St. George, UT
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The time has come. Pentair released a statement to all distributors and warranty stations that the IntelliTouch and EasyTouch/EasyTouch Lite systems are officially obsolete by the end of this year. Warranty will continue to be available per normal terms on equipment purchased this year, but the equipment will cease to be available for purchase on specific dates. This could end up being a bonus for folks with newer soon-to-be-legacy equipment that still has years of warranty remaining IF the replacement parts are unavailable at the time of the warranty call. This isn't entirely unprecedented - for example, we have been upgrading heaters to the connected PCB for awhile now for warranty. But Pentair giving us the blessing to upgrade a client from ET to IC would be neat to see.

Key quotes from the official statement are below:

Pentair is discontinuing the IntelliTouch, EasyTouch, and EasyTouch PL4/PSL4 Pool Control Systems. These products will no longer be available to order starting:
  • July 31, 2023 for all IntelliTouch Systems
  • September 29, 2023 for all EasyTouch Systems
We recognize these products have been in high demand for many years. However, given advancements in Pentair innovation and evolving industry demands, we are transitioning focus to the latest technology standards included with the IntelliCenter Pool Control System.

FAQ:

What control system should I order?

The recently updated IntelliCenter and IntelliCenter Lite Control Systems are the flagship automation products at Pentair, with both systems offering best-in-class technology and the most versatile control for most pool types.

Will warranties still be honored for my customers’ existing control system?
Warranty and replacement parts will be honored as available per our standard warranty policy. For more information, please review the EasyTouch and IntelliTouch FAQs.

Will obsolete products continue to be supported?
Products moved to obsolete status will continue to be supported under warranty. Pentair will replace legacy systems under warranty with comparable equipment while parts are available. If replacement parts are unavailable for existing systems under warranty, the IntelliCenter Upgrade Kit for EasyTouch, EasyTouch PL4/PSL4, and IntelliTouch systems may be required.

Last edited:
I guess Pentair has determined they can keep up with the demand for IntelliCenter systems now. Pentair must have cleaned out the warehouses of the EasyTouch systems.

I wonder how deep the inventory is for replacement boards. Once replacement boards for the obsolete systems are no longer available it will drive forced IntelliCenter upgrades.

Finally. The replacement *Touch motherboards have been increasing in cost for quite a while. The IntelliTouch mobos are already in parity with the cost of IntelliCenter upgrade. If your primary means of control is MobileTouch and that bites the dust it is also time to consider the upgrade. Control panels for IntelliCenter are half the cost and considerably better.

I'm just hopeful this leads to better development of the IntelliCenter app. Despite ScreenLogic's weaknesses, the mobile app has reached a good place and is responsive, intuitive and easy to navigate.
The IntelliCenter mobile app is ugly, truncated, buggy and we have frequent issues with it accepting changes locally but not actually sending the command to the clients home. I also get frustrated that it organizes multiple locations like Hayward does. ScreenLogic gives us a nice list of every connected client using the simple alphanumeric, but Intellicenter2 can only give you a list if all the locations are registered under one original email account - which of course they aren't and can't be for a service team.

They did a great job on the Pentair Home/Pro apps, but those don't supersede the current automation software for the IC. They're adjacent to it.
I'd really love to see that same TLC put into the IC app.

Ugh, I was just chatting with another TFP member who sent me the link to this post. I don't love the new intellicenter hardware design. In my humble opinion they should have socketed the comm chip and even worse is that they've now soldered on the relay drivers... so if one of those $2 chips die - as they frequently do - then what? Folks are expected to shell out $800 for a new mainboard and the "bad" one goes in the bin?? Aggh.

are there any restrictions or specific board models for upgrade? I am trying at all cost not to go this route but it is looking bleak at this point.

Just curious what it would take to upgrade mine.

Pentair 520540 EasyTouch 8 Pool/Spa Control System, Base System - No ICP, 2 Actuators,Almond​

I got the link to the Easytouch/Intellitouch end-of-life post from Scott ;) His Easytouch board had a blown comm chip and it seems like relay driver U4 is also bad.

Despite ScreenLogic's weaknesses, the mobile app has reached a good place and is responsive, intuitive and easy to navigate.
Wow That's complete opposite of my experience with the mobile app it has not been updated and over 5 years. Many functions aren't available that I didn't even know were available. I spent weeks trying to figure out why my equipment would randomly shut off I didn't even know there was a thing called egg timers because it was not in the app. Many of the buttons have no functions or grayed out. I need one app to control the pool and another app to control the pump functions very weird. Until I downloaded the computer program I couldn't take full advantage of the screen logic system. But glad it works well for you. Given this news I suppose they'll never update the screenlogic app now. Bummer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I need one app to control the pool and another app to control the pump functions very weird.
Your system is not properly set up if that is true.
You do need two apps, Sreenlogic and SLConfig to manage using apps and not the computer software.

Okay did a quick Google looks like the iPhone app is much better than the Android app my experience has been with the Android. In android All the settings are not available in the mobile app one big one egg timers are missing. App looks like UI was designed in the 2000's. I think needing 2 apps is strange took me a while to figure out I needed to download two different apps. Missing functions available in PC is poor design. I was holding out hope that they would finally update the app to a more modern design that had all functions. But this news dashes any hope that will ever happen. But in the end once I get everything set up and programmed properly the app mostly works fine for what I use it most for day-to-day turning on water features and lights. But when I have to do any tweaking definitely have to go to the computer to make sure it works.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230429-120628~2.png
    Screenshot_20230429-120628~2.png
    197.6 KB · Views: 10
Wow That's complete opposite of my experience with the mobile app
It has weaknesses. The comment was specifically the juxtaposition between ScreenLogic and IntelliCenter apps. Of the two, ScreenLogic is less buggy. It also organizes multiple properties better. For a service team, these two are the priority. If we need to make detailed edits, we can do that on specific visits.

Your system is not properly set up if that is true.
You do need two apps, Sreenlogic and SLConfig to manage using apps and not the computer software.
+1 and I actually find the separation convenient. It prevents clutter in the app that's designed as a remote. I don't want that Crud in my way when all I want to do is turn something on or off. I also don't want the Owners messing with it - so we don't tell them about the other app unless we trust them 😆

Last edited:
I just downloaded the app onto my son's iPad and I could do everything within that one app that's missing from the Android. I could adjust pump speeds for different functions, see egg timers, have a functional history graph and it had a decent graphical interface. I get it now why people say the mobile app is decent because it is in the iPhone world. It's just pentair never updated the Android app.

And I guess your points are valid if you have a pool builder that actually knows technology and properly sets up the system. I was basically told to download the app. I cannot properly set up my system until I downloaded the program for the computer. Even within the one app you can mess with schedules change functions rename things so you can still do a lot of damage if you don't know what you're doing.

Reactions: bradgray
Interesting.

All of my equipment is functional and circa 2013. So it’s all 10 years old. I guess I’ll keep it all until it dies and then do a full equipment overhaul. New automation panel, latest IntelliFlo, new CC520, gas heater, IC60 … should only cost what, $1000? Maybe $1,500 … pricey but I think I can swing it …

Interesting.

All of my equipment is functional and circa 2013. So it’s all 10 years old. I guess I’ll keep it all until it dies and then do a full equipment overhaul. New automation panel, latest IntelliFlo, new CC520, gas heater, IC60 … should only cost what, $1000? Maybe $1,500 … pricey but I think I can swing it …
You forgot a 0.

Interesting.

Don't forget the matter/antimatter reactor heater for an extra $200

Reactions: JoyfulNoise

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.