Intelliflo VS 2 Pump Settings

lmisko

Jul 22, 2016
Twin Cities, MN
Hi all! So after over a month open and feeling pretty confident about my water testing and treatment routine I am now interested in my VS pump and optimizing my settings. The pool guy set up a routine on it so that it runs at roughly 2150 RPM during the day and then between 12AM and 4AM it cranks up to 3150 RPM to "turn the water over real well". I am just wondering for those who have experience with my type of pump does that sound like a proper routine? My pool size is around 31,000 gallons. It has two skimmers, two main drains, and four returns. Supposedly it is a very nice pump (so they say) and it will save on my electric bill each month (so they say) so I want to learn how to make use of it the best I can. Thanks for any advice you may have!

I,

Running your pump at 3150 RPM is not saving much electricity and is really not needed.

Most of the time I run mine at 1,200 RPM which is about 170 Watts... "They" say it is a nice pump, because it is... :p

Each pool is a little different... You generally run a pump for three reasons:

1. To keep surface debris moving and being pushed into the skimmers. The more debris the more often you need to run the pump.

2. If you have a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) you'll need to run it long enough to generate the amount of chlorine needed.

3. To circulate the water to ensure the chlorine is effectively distributed throughout the pool. Two or three hours per day is all that is needed for this to happen in most pools.

There really is no one answer that fits everyone.

You just need to experiment and see what works best for you. If this were my pool, and no SWCG, I think I would run it at 1,000 RPM for 8 hours and see how things looked about a couple of days. I would not run above 2,000 unless it was for some specific reason, like to run a water feature or cleaner.. edit.. or for the heater if needed..

Thanks,

Jim R.

It is a great pump, I love mine. The day mine quits I'll buy another one before sunset.

You don't have an SWG or solar so you can run yours less than I do. But, here's what I do.

I run mine at 1100 rpm for skimming, filtering, making chlorine with the SWG and solar standby. It uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm so at 10.25c/kWh I can run the pump 24x7 for less than 12 bucks per month.

When the trees are busy, we have LOTS, during spring and fall I run 24x7 to keep debris skimmed before it sinks to the bottom. During spring and fall when heating with solar I run 8a to 10p. During summer when cooling with solar I run 10p to 8a. When I'm using the heat pump only it runs at 1500 rpm and for solar it runs at 1950 rpm.

Thanks very much for the responses. It seems like the way it is set up I am probably using it way too much. My electric bill since our first opening would tend to back that up! So, during the day when it is covered I probably don't need it doing much at all do I? So, I can set it up for maybe a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours in the evening and call it good? It just makes me nervous since everything has been going so well so far this first season that I don't want to jinx myself lol! However, my elevtric bill could use a little trimming too...

Now...where's that manual...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.