Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
kw,

The two main reasons to run your pump are:

1. To generate the chlorine that your pool needs if you have a tab feeder or SWCG
2. To skim the pool the way you like.

I run my pump 24/7, at 1200 RPM most of the time, for less than $20 bucks a month. Newer IntelliFlo pumps are even more energy efficient.

I like generating a little chlorine all the time and skimming all the time. Not something that is required, just something I like to do.

Your tab feeder may or may not work well at low RPMs, but you will need to experiment with your pool set up and see how it works.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim, I found your response here. Great advice. I've run into too many algae issues over the past few years and I'm going to try something new. I'm just finishing up a SLAM and I'm trying your philosophy.

When my chlorine level was appropriate, I was running my pump at 2850 for 2.5 hrs and 1800 for 8 hours. Now, I've set it to 2850 for 2.5 hours and 1200 for 21.5 hrs.

1) Do you think my current settings sound right?
2) Could I go lower than 1200 (so long as the flow activates the salt cell)?
3) Do you think I need a full 2.5 hours to run my vacuum?
4) My Intellichlor IC40 was set at 60% for the 10.5 hour cycle. For a 24 hour cycle, do you think 20% will work?
5) Any other tips?

Thanks!

Ryan,

I would not run less than 1000 RPM, but as long as the SWCG's flow switch is closed, running below 1200 is not a problem.

I'd start the IC40 at 30% for 24/7 and see what your FC looks like.. As long as your FC stays at or above your target you are good. It is much easier to run a high FC and then come down, than it is to run too low of an FC and have to come back up.

There is no way for me to tell if 2.5 hours for your cleaner is good or not.. You will just have to experiment.. Drop it it 2 hours and see if you see any difference.

Just make sure you keep your FC per this chart... FC/CYA Levels

Do not try to keep your FC between your Minimum and your Target.. Try to keep your FC in the target range, or higher.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ryan,

I would not run less than 1000 RPM, but as long as the SWCG's flow switch is closed, running below 1200 is not a problem.

I'd start the IC40 at 30% for 24/7 and see what your FC looks like.. As long as your FC stays at or above your target you are good. It is much easier to run a high FC and then come down, than it is to run too low of an FC and have to come back up.

There is no way for me to tell if 2.5 hours for your cleaner is good or not.. You will just have to experiment.. Drop it it 2 hours and see if you see any difference.

Just make sure you keep your FC per this chart... FC/CYA Levels

Do not try to keep your FC between your Minimum and your Target.. Try to keep your FC in the target range, or higher.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Great advice. Thanks, Jim! I use the PoolMath app, which is a lifesaver. When I run into problems, it's typically because I get busy and neglect testing my chemical levels with sufficient frequency.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.