TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2018
Alamo, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
A few weeks ago, I noticed the area around my Intelliflo VS pump was wet (photo 1). I located the drip at the pressure-side union. I was able to tighten the union a fraction of a turn and the leak stopped and the equipment pad stayed dry.

Yesterday I noticed wetness again. This time I don't think it's from the union but rather from where the union is mounted to the pump. There seems to be some plumber's putty or other sloppily-applied goo around there (photo 2).

What's the best way to fix this?

Pump1.jpg
Pump2.jpg

I had the same issue with my intelleliflo pump when it was first installed last September. The issue was the union on the pimp casing wasn't able to tighten enough to adequately squeeze the oring seal without fear of damaging casing. The solution was to add some pvc pipe thread sealant to the threads of the union that thread into the casing. Of you do this, be sure to only use sealant that is compatible with plastic pipe.

RJS,

I agree with Wireform..

One major reason to use pump unions is that that you don't get leaks at the treads. No tape or puddy is needed... You just screw it in until the O-Ring is crushed between the union and the pump body, and you are done.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Rocket J Squirrel
Thanks for the replies. They lead, of course, to more questions...

When I lift the union up the pipe, is it likely I'll find a damaged o-ring which needs to be replaced? I'll want to plan ahead for that. The pump manual doesn't mention that o-ring, so I guess it's considered part of the union, not the pump? Anyone know offhand what size that o-ring is?

Un, not sure that's right. There are threads and an o-ring in the union, yes. And that o-ring could be the problem. But that's not where Rocket's red arrow is pointing. There is another set of threads, where the union fitting threads into the pump's body. There's putty there, and no o-ring. If properly cleaning both sides of the union and the o-ring, and lubing the o-ring and then reassembling the union doesn't work, then it's probably the piece that threads into the pump.

You'd disconnect the union, unscrew the fitting that is threaded into the pump, clean all that putty out, then refit it, either with fresh putty, or teflon tape (but not both, contrary to how some claim). Point being, there are two places in that area that could be leaking, not just the union.

That's all assuming there isn't a crack somewhere. Once clean, inspect everything with a magnifying glass to see if you can spot any problems.

I think this is what @Texas Splash was saying.

Last edited:
+1. It takes 5 seconds to put it together. Try a new o-ring with no puddy first. I bet sombody pinched it one time and then stopped the leak with the puddy, which has now failed.

Thanks for the follow-ups! I am a fan of teflon tape, not so much of putty. I'm hoping to take this apart tomorrow. It's always more work than it should be because my pump is below water level and I have no valves. So I have to plug the skimmers to avoid draining the pool down my driveway while I work on it. This equipment literally has not been touched by human hands (only mine) since it was re-plumbed from old rusting copper in '18.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
+1. It takes 5 seconds to put it together. Try a new o-ring with no puddy first. I bet sombody pinched it one time and then stopped the leak with the puddy, which has now failed.
I think we all know this, but you worded that funny, so just to clarify. Plumber's putty, or teflon tape, is not used on the union's threads that clamp down on the o-ring. Only a light coating of lube on the union's o-ring. Plumber's putty, or tape, is only used on the other set of threads, the one where the union screws into the pump housing.

Putty or tape on the union threads that smoosh the o-ring won't contain a leaking o-ring, and will more likely cause a leak if either interfere with the seal between the o-ring and its two sealing surfaces. Those two surfaces have to be very clean.

Just to be clear.. The threaded end of the pump union, that screws into the pump, does not get puddy or tape. It just screws into the pump and the O-Ring does the job. The threads on a pump union are not the same as the threads on a normal PVC threaded adapter, which are tapered pipe threads. The pump unions do not have a taper.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I think we all know this, but you worded that funny, so just to clarify. Plumber's putty, or teflon tape, is not used on the union's threads that clamp down on the o-ring
* not supooooooooosed to be used. I don't put anything past the 19 year old pool boy who had a drip and puddy nearby.

Ok Rocket, we need some clarification, is the leak comimg from the pump and the piece that screws into the pump, or is it coming from the union side and dripping 1/8 inch (?) down onto the pump ?

If its dripping up out of the pump, then it needs unscrewing, cleaning and fresh tape / puddy on the threads that go Into the pump. Then reattch the union hand tight and 1/8 more turn if it still drips. If the leak is falling down and spraying the pump, then its the O-ring or union/nut, which should not have puddy on the threads above the pump. Replace the o-ring, clean the above threads and reattach hand tight, plus 1/8 if need be,

I was talking about what is supposed to be done, and not how this particular union was installed.

To correctly install a pump union no puddy or tape is used.

Keep in mind Pump Unions are not the junk unions that the sell at Home Depot. They are made specifically for installing pumps and other pool equipment.

Jim R.

Reactions: Newdude
Ok we are all back to saying the same thing, but in 4 different languages. Apologies rocket.

But we still need clarification. Is the leak bubbling up from the pump, or down from the union. That will help us narrow it down.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
This is where I got it, page 2 of the IntelliFlo manual (well, one of 'em, anyway), in the Installation section, under the Piping subhead:

Piping
  1. For improved pool plumbing, it is recommended to use a larger pipe size. When installing the inlet and outlet fittings (male adaptors), use thread sealant.
* I added the bold.

But I'll defer to Jim, he knows more about Pentair equipment than I ever will...

If you use the standard threaded PVC adapter, you use puddy or tape.

If you use a Pump Union, you do not use any puddy or tape.

Even though both of them screw into the same inlet and outlet fittings on the pump, they are different. The PVC adapter uses the threads to make a waterproof seal, while the pump union uses the O-Ring on the threaded end to make the seal.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Newdude and Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.