Intelliflo not running no lights on

Bobusername

Silver Supporter
Sep 13, 2019
new jersey
What a great web site! Just joined. Sorry for the length but I want to get everything in.

My problem is with my intelliflo vs 3050. About 6 or 7 years old. Hooked up to Aqualink.

The problem started with my intellichlor swg. It stopped. I replaced the fuse and it came back on again. However, my Intelliflo was not coming back on. No lights lit, not running.
I am almost positive that it was running while the intellichlor was not. So I don't think that both were knocked out at once by lightning for instance. I did flip my circuit breakers while I played around with the intellichlor. Maybe coming back on caused a surge? My aqaulink says vs1 offline.

I called pentair and was told to check voltage. Said if it has power the drive control is probably fried. A new one would be compatible with my pump and would require no change in wiring. Plug and play basically.
I tried to test the power with a multimeter at L1 and L2 (I've read every post on this board). What I got was a lot of sparks. I obviously don't know what I'm doing electrically. So I don't know the voltage but I do know there's some power.

I noticed my aqualink outdoor panel does not have gfci breakers. The pump is on a double 20amp breaker I think with another pump. I've never tripped a breaker.
So my options. First replace the breaker with gfci and see if that fixes it. Seems unlikely to me and I'm not too good electrically. I can connect wires and that's about it.

Order a new drive board. Easy enough and I can connect it.
Order a whole new pump.

Wow. sorry again for length if you're still reading.. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Bob,

The very first thing you need to do is get the voltage between L1 and L2 right at the pump tested.. That will tell you what the next step is.

You should not get sparks when testing voltage, so that tells me you had the meter set up wrong.. Do yourself a favor and find a friend that has some electrical background and have the voltage tested.

If you have 240 volts between L1 and L2, then it becomes a matter of choice... Does it make sense to repair a 7 year old pump motor or does it make sense to replace the entire IntelliFlo. Personally, I would replace the whole pump, but I suspect there could be a case made that the pump still has at least half of its life left... So... :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome to TFP.

I am impressed if you have read every post for the last 10 years on this board. ;)

Until you know if you have good voltage at the pump it makes no sense to begin replacing parts.

Bob,

Welcome to TFP! You've come to the right spot and I'll ping an expert on Pentair for you. In the meantime, can you please post a photo of your equipment plus the breaker panel and controls. It will save you a cycle of questions. Also, please fill in your signature with pool size, type, equipment brands and models. Click on your screen name and then on "signature" to open the box. Then type the information and press save. This info will then be posted at the bottom of every post which will save cycles of asking the same questions which also gets you advice quicker.

I hope this helps. @Jimrahbe @ajw22

Chris

***update: Looks like Jim and Allen were typing at same time as me! Man, you guys are fast!***

You probably had the meter set for testing in-line amps. You probably damaged the meter.

Check out YouTube videos for how to use a basic meter.

If you feel comfortable after watching the videos, get a new meter and try it again with the leads in the correct holes.

Holy cow You guys are fast! And good! It's back on!
I went out take pictures and the breaker was in the half position. I swear it was not like that yesterday. And I think I wouldn't have gotten sparks if it was. In any case I flipped it and the pump is on.

I'm attaching pictures which show no gfci breakers and my setup. The pool is about 15 years old so I think I'll leave the old breakers as they are.

The only issue I have now is that the pump sometimes comes on for 1 second, trips the alarm, maybe repeats and eventually comes on. I know my multiport valve is leaking water into the backwash hose so I think it's causing the problem. I replaced the gasket last summer but maybe I didn't seal it well.
And I have to replace a jva. The pool stuff never stops.

Anyways, I'm a little embarrassed but happy I'm working.
I just joined the forum btw.

Thanks all of you!

Attachments

• Breakers.JPG
    Breakers.JPG
    368.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Pool setup.JPG
    Pool setup.JPG
    476.6 KB · Views: 11
The breaker probably tripped when you got the sparks.

If you have the test leads in the wrong holes in the multimeter, it creates a direct path for current through the meter and it will trip the breaker.

You might still have a power supply issue.

It would be good if you can verify the voltage at the pump while the pump is on.

Maybe replace the breaker with the Pentair gfci breaker.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.