IntelliConnect review/warnings - Seeking an alternative

I just did a search and see Pentair Home in the iOS app store. However, it appears to be just for a Pentair water softener. Wonder the status of the Beta tests?

I just did a search and see Pentair Home in the iOS app store. However, it appears to be just for a Pentair water softener. Wonder the status of the Beta tests?
CAUTION: Do not download and try to connect your intelliconnect to the Pentair home app. I tried it and it seemed like it was allowing me to start using Pentair home app. After launching the app, it told me i was using Link2o for intelliconnect and asked me if I would like to transfer to Pentair home. I selected yes and it said my intellicommect needed a software update. Half way through the software update it gave me an error. I called support and they said the Pentair home server is not ready and my intelliconnect needs to be replaced. Since mine is under warranty, I will not have to pay for the replacement.

@pcjackson06 Thanks for the update on the Pentair Home app. My friend uses that with his more expensive Pentair controller and it seems to work great. Fingers crossed it comes soon.

@mytfpaccount I'm sorry this happened to you but am glad Pentair is doing the right thing by replacing the unit. I 100% would have tried this myself if not for your warning.

@usfbull I haven't seen any server issues lately (though there's a solid ~5 second delay switching screens - this has always been the case). If Pentair Home becomes a reality this could be a good product. Until then it's... ok. Better than nothing. If I were building new I would do something else.

Reactions: usfbull
@Talnus The thing is I will have a simple pool, no spa, no water features, but will have MicroBrite lights and a SWCG. To upgrade to an Easy Touch is an extra $1,800 above the $400 for the intelliconnect. So the way I see it for me it is either skip automation or go with the intelliconnect.

@usfbull I have basically the same setup (in signature). I don't think the Easy Touch would have been worth $2200. If you like tinkering I'd still pursue the Raspberry Pi and relay solution, but if you want plug and play the Intelliconnect is probably your best bet.

For your pool light, I do recommend picking up a Leviton smart switch that integrates into their "My Leviton" app instead of controlling it with the Intelliconnect. It gives you the ability to set sunrise/sunset with up to 120 minute offsets, and the app is so much better.

Good luck with the new build!

I wanted to chime in with my experience so far. The first time we downloaded the H20 app we had all kinds of issues but when I upgraded to the Pentair home app all has been well. I run the items in my sig with it and while I am still learning and understanding how things operate, it has been very basic and trouble free so far.

Reactions: wolverine
I actually really like the Pentair microbrites. We have multi-color options and preset programs that mix the colors really nice. You can set your light schedules for the entire year if you like. The main thing from what I hear is they are an easy swap so the replacement maint is easy.

Good: You can set connections 2 and 3 to require a minimum speed on the VSF filter pump. This would be useful for a SWCG or booster pump. Since all the equipment connections are simple RS-485 serial (2-wire) connections, I suspect there is a wide range of equipment that can at least be scheduled to turn on or off, not just Pentair.

@BowserB - If I understand you correctly, the IntelliConnect will set the pump minimum speed if you are also controlling something via the heater or relay 1/2?

I've recently updated my single speed pump to a variable speed and when I turned on the heater at 2250rpm, there was some awful knocking and shuddering, which I've learnt is almost certainly due to low flow through the heater. Increasing the pump speed manually made the issue go away.

My hope is that if the pump schedule has the pump running at a lower RPM, but then the heater is turned on, the IntelliConnect will then know to run the pump at a higher RPM. Can anyone confirm that the IntelliConnect will do this?

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I get none of that with my heater and intelleconect. I have my pump set for 3 different auto cycles per day at 3 different speeds. When we were using the heater earlier in the year it would override if I wasn't pumping water fast enough but I changed my override. Never have had any noises from the heater due to slow speeds. Actually mine is the opposite. I have some banging noises the faster my pump runs due to some pipes bumping each other in the heater.

@J-Ho I can confirm that the IntelliConnect using Pentair Home does allow you to set a pump override speed for each flow dependent device. I have a Hayward SWG, and I can set the override speed to whatever I want. Different speeds can be set for different flow-dependent devices (like your heater). One caveat - this will only work with a Pentair pump.

As an aside, the Pentair Home app is a HUGE upgrade to Link2O. My only remaining issue (and this could be a huge one) is the timer doesn't seem to reliably work. I set my SWG to turn on at 11pm and off at 5am every night. This activates the pump, but I caught it off the other night. It looks like sometimes the pump will come on at 11am, but will then shut off within a minute or two, and never come back on.

Anyone else notice behavior like this?

Reactions: Skiddy
I have had a few issues with running times off and on but I usually discover its due to a change I made and did not refresh. The new Home App is so much better than the old one.
Overall I like the system for what it does and feel it is a good system for the simpler pool owner.

Do any of you have solar panels, Pentair solartouch and intelliconnect?
The override doesn’t kick on when solar turns on so the pump speed never changes. If the flow rate is too slow solar will not work. Wondering if there is something I’m missing?

I think the flow rate will affect several things including the SWG. I know when my FR is too low I get error lights. Ive found if my pump speed drops below 1000 rpms its just not enough to keep up with all the equipment.

Reactions: usfbull
Yes, so when the solar is activated i need the pump speed to change from 1,250 (which I use most times of the day) to 2,800 for the time it takes the solar to get to desired temp.

I would like for the pump to change speeds (up & down) when the pentair solartouch turns on and off based of water temps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.