Intelliconnect needs jumpers for IN load on relays?

picklebush

Silver Supporter
Jul 28, 2018
Hebron, Texas
Pool Size
I’m getting down to finally getting my equipment installed. However I am concerned about the Intelliconnect wiring. Do I need to power the Line In? I saw this guy on you tube making jumpers. I thought that’s part of what the relays on unit does, power it! See this guys jumpers;

appreciate any assistance. Installation does say anything about jumpers.

PB,

The IntelliConnect has two relays.. they have NO inputs or outputs from the IntelliConnect itself... You have to wire the input voltage to the line side of the relays and then wire whatever you want to run to the load side of the relays.

Using the jumpers is an easy way to run AC power to the line side connections, but you also run directly from a breaker and into the line connections.

Thanks,

Jim R.

PB,

The IntelliConnect has two relays.. they have NO inputs or outputs from the IntelliConnect itself... You have to wire the input voltage to the line side of the relays and then wire whatever you want to run to the load side of the relays.

Using the jumpers is an easy way to run AC power to the line side connections, but you also run directly from a breaker and into the line connections.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim,

I guess since I hardwired my VPS direct to power and I just read to do that w the intellichlor 30 should be too, Ill just be using the RS-485 only. I could hook up my polaris booster pump to relay 2 and keep relay 1 with no power?

Reactions: 1poolman1
PB -

You've probably already figured out this, but I thought I'd throw this out just in case you haven't.

You are correct that both your pump and Intellichlor power center should be hardwired directly to their breakers and not through the Intelliconnect. They only need RS-485 connections to talk to the Intelliconnect.

For your booster pump, run a line from your breaker to the load side of whichever relay you want to use, and then run a line from the line side of that relay to the booster pump. You could use the remaining relay for your pool lights or landscape lights.

I have a separate breaker and line to power the Intelliconnect. I never thought about jumping the power from the line to the load side of the relay, but that would work too.

Thanks and good luck -
Jeff

PB -

You've probably already figured out this, but I thought I'd throw this out just in case you haven't.

You are correct that both your pump and Intellichlor power center should be hardwired directly to their breakers and not through the Intelliconnect. They only need RS-485 connections to talk to the Intelliconnect.

For your booster pump, run a line from your breaker to the load side of whichever relay you want to use, and then run a line from the line side of that relay to the booster pump. You could use the remaining relay for your pool lights or landscape lights.

I have a separate breaker and line to power the Intelliconnect. I never thought about jumping the power from the line to the load side of the relay, but that would work too.

Thanks and good luck -
Jeff
Thanks Jeff,

I am about to finish the install tomorrow if it goes well. So one final question, maybe lol... the RS-485, do I wire BOTH to the red/green terminal, or should they be on each of their own? Meaning, in the Intelliconnect, there is 4 screw pins for the RS-485. Do the VPS and the Intellichlor both go on same screws of spot 1 and spot 2 or do they go on 1, 2 and then the other one on 3, 4?

Sorry if that sounds confusing.

I am about to finish the install tomorrow if it goes well. So one final question, maybe lol... the RS-485, do I wire BOTH to the red/green terminal, or should they be on each of their own? Meaning, in the Intelliconnect, there is 4 screw pins for the RS-485. Do the VPS and the Intellichlor both go on same screws of spot 1 and spot 2 or do they go on 1, 2 and then the other one on 3, 4?

1697815849603.png

I thought it had 4 ports on the RS-485.

Pentair RS-485 color coding for the four wires:

• Green/Yellow wires are for data comm.
  • Black/Red wires are power for a device powered by the RS-485

do I wire BOTH to the red/green terminal, or should they be on each of their own? Meaning, in the Intelliconnect, there is 4 screw pins for the RS-485. Do the VPS and the Intellichlor both go on same screws of spot 1 and spot 2 or do they go on 1, 2 and then the other one on 3, 4?
intelliconnect rs485.jpg

As Jim and Allen said, your RS485 cable from both your pump and Intellichlor only needs 2 wires - green and yellow. They can be connected separately (1 & 2, 3 & 4) or all the green on one (1 or 3) and all the yellow on one (2 or 4). I used all 4 ports on my setup because like you I only have 2 pieces of equipment to connect to the RS485. You can cut off and terminate the black and red wires on the RS485 cables so they aren't in the way.

Even though it is not required, I would recommend connecting a temperature probe to the Intelliconnect too, so you can track your water temp from the Pentair Home app.

Let us know how the installation goes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Even though it is not required, I would recommend connecting a temperature probe to the Intelliconnect too, so you can track your water temp from the Pentair Home app.

The temperature sensor is also required for the Intelliconnect to control the Intellichlor settings.

Jk,

Wow!!! I have never actually looked at the RS-485 connector on the IntelliConnect and just "assumed" it was just like all the other RS-485 connectors on all of their other Automation systems... I was WRONG again!!! :(

The IntelliConnect has modified (not the word I wanted to use..) RS-485 connector. It has a pair of Yellow and Green connections.

Sigh!

Almost everything about the IntelliConnect is different.

Sorry for any confusion.

Jim R.

Glad I can add some knowledge to this great forum that I continue to learn so much from! I don't know why they "modified" the RS-485 ports, other than to simplify the connections for people so they didn't have to stack multiple wires. It seems like it would have been better to name one Pump and one SWG since they already had one for Temp and one for Heater. Not sure what else would connect via RS-485.

I wish I could figure out what Pentair's plans for the Intelliconnect are. They released it several years ago, but don't seem to be interested in updates or improvements, or support for that matter. Getting a firmware update from them was worse than pulling teeth. For basic automation, I think it does a pretty good job for a basic pool setup, for a fairly reasonable price. Maybe one day they will figure that out because I think there are a lot of pool owners out there looking to retrofit automation without having to pay big bucks for an Intellicenter.

PB - sorry to hijack your thread!

Jeff

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Um … up and going, I never saw a ground in the Intelliconnect… is that ok? I added 4 bags of 40lb each and reached 3000 ppm in the hour. I brushed all the salt off the bottom. No body said the Intelliconnect RS wire block screw down was a pull off moduLe! I figured it out after wiring the SWG power center… how the heck am I gonna screw those sideways!? lol Edit by Jim R. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Um … up and going, I never saw a ground in the Intelliconnect… is that ok? I added 4 bags of 40lb each and reached 3000 ppm in the hour. I brushed all the salt off the bottom. No body said the Intelliconnect RS wire block screw down was a pull off moduLe! I figured it out after wiring the SWG power center… how the heck am I gonna screw those sideways!? lol Edit by Jim R. :(
PB -

There is no ground in the Intelliconnect. I'm not an electrician but I'm going to guess it's ok and that it has something to do with the CB being grounded in the breaker box. There is a bonding lug on the SWG power center, and you should connect that to your bonding wire.

Glad you're up and going!

Jeff

PS - Sorry I didn't think to mention that the RS485 connectors blocks pull off. I also spent time trying to figure out how I was going to wire that thing until I realized it came off!

PS - Sorry I didn't think to mention that the RS485 connectors blocks pull off. I also spent time trying to figure out how I was going to wire that thing until I realized it came off!
Ha no worries! no sorry needed, but appreciated! I am on second attempt at redoing plumbing, cause one sleeve didn't seal :( I give it 3 hour cure time, its cured! at least for a 28gal/min water pressure. Heck, thats just above minimal operating water flow for the inteliChlor!

I determined I have closer to an 8K pool, based on the amount of salt it took it to jump to 3000ppm....so the iC30 should be perfect. However, this morning when i checked iChlor30, the lights were blinking, no flow (of course VPS is off) and I was under impression that the Intelliconnect was dealing with it, such as kill all power to it. Is that normal?

I was under impression that the Intelliconnect was dealing with it, such as kill all power to it. Is that normal?

The IntelliConnect has no way to kill the iChlor power.

I think it should set the generation % to 0 when the IntelliFlo pump is not running.

Do you have a water temperature sensor installed and configured for the IntelliConnect?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.