IntelliConnect - Additional relay?

What connects into the outlet box mounted next to the heater?

#27 says 120/240?

27 is a single gang breaker and can only be 120v.

You can put two of them side by side and clip the levers together and use it on a 240v circuit but that is not what you have.

27 is a single gang breaker and can only be 120v.

You can put two of them side by side and clip the levers together and use it on a 240v circuit but that is not what you have.

That makes sense. Lights are probably connected to the 120V breaker "Pool Lights". Random GFCI is 120V breaker "Pool GFCI". And the pool equipment is all on the 240V breaker "Pool": Pump/Heater/SWG/SPA Bubbler.

What is plugged into the outlet below your old chlorinator box? I see the light transformer black wire. What is the yellow and white wires?

Where are you going to breakout the circuits from one CB to go to different relays for your SWG and blower?

Are you going to direct wire the Intelliflo or connect it by that plug?

You should get rid of the spaghetti of existing wiring and simplify the wiring with the Intelliconnect.

It is still not clear what GFCI is protecting your pool lights and how that is wired. You need to understand that to ensure you don’t bypass the GFCI if you connect the pool lights to a relay.

Where are you going to breakout the circuits from one CB to go to different relays for your SWG and blower?

Are you going to direct wire the Intelliflo or connect it by that plug?

You should get rid of the spaghetti of existing wiring and simplify the wiring with the Intelliconnect.

I was hoping to keep the same wiring given it has worked for 12 years and just replace the components. The IntelliConnect is essentially replacing the Tork Timer as the 'hub' but it will require a power source.

Yes - Plug the pump directly into the GFCI on the heater that's inline with the other pool components.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is still not clear what GFCI is protecting your pool lights and how that is wired. You need to understand that to ensure you don’t bypass the GFCI if you connect the pool lights to a relay.

Good point.

I assume it's the GFCI Breaker labeled "Pool Lights". That's easy to check though. I will turn it on and flip the switch and see if the lights come on.

It is really not advisable to connect an IntelliFlo with a plug. It has too high an amperage draw. Plug connected pumps are for smaller pumps. You should hard wire it. Over time that plug will give you problems with the Intelliflo.

Show me a pic of the outlet the pump plugs into and the plug.

hear you. Pentair is saying otherwise which is conflicting me.

S,

I re-read read the "manual" for the IntelliConnect and they do things a little different from the EasyTouch, IntelliTouch, and the new IntelliCenter.

With Pentair's full up automation systems, they actually run the power to the cell's power center through the pump/filter relay. The IntelliConnect does not do this.. But, the way I read the manual is that the relay is still being used to control the IntelliChlor, but differently..

The IntelliConnect tells the cell when to run via the RS-485 com port.. It does this by monitoring the relay that you designate as the "Pump/filter relay"... This relay will close if the IntelliFlo is supposed to run.. So, the IntelliConnect checks to see if the relay is closed, and if so, it tells the cell it is OK to produce chlorine via the RS-485 port. Of course, the flow switch inside the IntelliChlor is still in the loop as the secondary safety device. In summary, the Pump/Filter relay is still the primary safety device, even though it does not control the power to the cell's power supply.

If you don't use the relay as the pump/filter relay, and use it to turn on a light, you no longer have the primary safety device..

I can see why there is a lot of confusion, as you have to read three different sections of the manual to have a clue how it actually works.. Sigh!

Thanks,

Jim R.

If you don't use the relay as the pump/filter relay, and use it to turn on a light, you no longer have the primary safety device..

OK, you got me to really study the IntelliConnect Manual. I don't think "If you don't use the relay as the pump/filter relay, and use it to turn on a light, you no longer have the primary safety device" is true.

They are doing it digitally as long as you use a RS-485 connected IntelliFlo pump rather then analog using a relay. As long as you are comfortable relying on the computer as the primary safety then there are two safety systems.

The primary safety system is:

When an IntelliChlor or iChlor SCG is wired to IntelliConnect via an RS-485 cable, a power connection to the load side of the pump relay is not required. Digital commands sent from the IntelliConnect to the SCG will not allow chlorine production when there is low/no power to the filter pump relay or when the IntelliFlo is not running.

The secondary safety system is the flow switch.

I think both relays are free to be used for other devices then the IntelliChlor as long as a RS-485 connected IntelliFlo pump is used.

1616263504149.png

I’ve attached requested pics

Attachments

• 8F4B42BC-1ECD-4BE9-B64C-AD8D329AF8C8.jpeg
    8F4B42BC-1ECD-4BE9-B64C-AD8D329AF8C8.jpeg
    460.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 6068F5FB-31EA-4C3C-83E8-D2FAA2BC4821.jpeg
    6068F5FB-31EA-4C3C-83E8-D2FAA2BC4821.jpeg
    356.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 3EC436E9-41F0-4755-ACE6-3C745458EBC6.jpeg
    3EC436E9-41F0-4755-ACE6-3C745458EBC6.jpeg
    504.8 KB · Views: 3
  • F6664235-D125-4A76-89BB-DFCBE5210833.jpeg
    F6664235-D125-4A76-89BB-DFCBE5210833.jpeg
    442.2 KB · Views: 3
The plug shows signs of overheating and corrosion. The plug and socket should be replaced and really the IntelliFlo should be hard wired.

Do you understand the wires in the Tork? There are black, yellow, and red wires. You know what goes to what?

OK, you got me to really study the IntelliConnect Manual. I don't think "If you don't use the relay as the pump/filter relay, and use it to turn on a light, you no longer have the primary safety device" is true.

They are doing it digitally as long as you use a RS-485 connected IntelliFlo pump rather then analog using a relay. As long as you are comfortable relying on the computer as the primary safety then there are two safety systems.

The primary safety system is:

When an IntelliChlor or iChlor SCG is wired to IntelliConnect via an RS-485 cable, a power connection to the load side of the pump relay is not required. Digital commands sent from the IntelliConnect to the SCG will not allow chlorine production when there is low/no power to the filter pump relay or when the IntelliFlo is not running.

The secondary safety system is the flow switch.

I think both relays are free to be used for other devices then the IntelliChlor as long as a RS-485 connected IntelliFlo pump is used.

This was my understanding as well but Pentair confused me more. They said 'some' people use the rely as a 'secondary/backup' to the flow sensor. It makes more sense for IntelliConnect to have both IntelliFlow and IntelliChlor connected to use the internal computer to kill IntelliChlor *AND* the IntelliChlor's flow sensor as a secondary/backup. If not, that sounds like a design flaw. I will contact them again tomorrow to clarify.

The plug shows signs of overheating and corrosion. The plug and socket should be replaced and really the IntelliFlo should be hard wired.

Do you understand the wires in the Tork? There are black, yellow, and red wires. You know what goes to what?

Would I need to install a GFI at the breaker? If we assume the panel is labeled correctly, the lights are on GFCI, the "Pool GFCI" is not a GFCI at the breaker but it is outside. The 240V "Pool" only has a GFCI at the pump -- not the heater/SWG, etc.

I could follow the wires down to the junction box but I doubt those are labeled. I think the only real way is to start turning breakings on/off and seeing what lights up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.