Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I’m not seeing any lights in Intellicholor system and circuit breaker inside intellicenter seems to be tripped. Is it possible to reset or I have purchase new one circuit breaker ? Thanks!

Attachments

• AD89A0F7-F76C-4F89-9064-52959259D692.jpeg
    AD89A0F7-F76C-4F89-9064-52959259D692.jpeg
    246.5 KB · Views: 47
You reset the CB by pushing it back in.

If the CB does not reset then you need to fix the reason the CB is tripping.

Basically, this is how it works.

120 or 240 volts is supplied to the primary side of the SWCG transformer. This transformer steps the voltage down to about 28 volts AC. This AC goes through the little circuit breaker and into the "Surge" card which changes the AC voltage into a DC voltage of about 35 volts. This DC voltage is what powers the salt cell.

The next step is to disconnect the AC input to the Surge card. I assume the same surge card is used in the IntelliCenter that is used in the EasyTouch. It is mounted to the back wall of the automation system and looks like this. You can see the two AC input are marked. Just remove on of them and see if the breaker still pops.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Basically, this is how it works.

120 or 240 volts is supplied to the primary side of the SWCG transformer. This transformer steps the voltage down to about 28 volts AC. This AC goes through the little circuit breaker and into the "Surge" card which changes the AC voltage into a DC voltage of about 35 volts. This DC voltage is what powers the salt cell.

The next step is to disconnect the AC input to the Surge card. I assume the same surge card is used in the IntelliCenter that is used in the EasyTouch. It is mounted to the back wall of the automation system and looks like this. You can see the two AC input are marked. Just remove on of them and see if the breaker still pops.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yeah. That’s some internal mechanics of salt cell I learned today :) Removed one of the AC wire from the surge card and another AC wire is connected permanently. It still pops the breaker.

Sounds like a bad SWCG transformer, but that would be odd.

I'd want to disconnect the output of the SWCG transformer so that I could measure the secondary output voltage.

On the surface, it makes no sense that the IntelliChlor breaker would pop if the AC was removed from the surge card.

Maybe the breaker is just bad. I'd still want to know what the voltage going into the surge card was before moving on. It should be something like 28 volts AC.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sounds like a bad SWCG transformer, but that would be odd.

I'd want to disconnect the output of the SWCG transformer so that I could measure the secondary output voltage.

On the surface, it makes no sense that the IntelliChlor breaker would pop if the AC was removed from the surge card.

Maybe the breaker is just bad. I'd still want to know what the voltage going into the surge card was before moving on. It should be something like 28 volts AC.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I was getting 3v going to the surge card

To measure the AC voltage going into the surge card, you need to measure between the two AC inputs with the circuit breaker closed. You can't measure from one AC input to ground.

Let's assume that you only have 3 volts AC coming out of the transformer. In that case it could not possibly pop the breaker. :scratch:

So, I am confused with your results.

You really need to be able to isolate the two wires that come out of the SWCG transformer. One goes to the input to the fuse and the other to the surge card. You need to know what the AC voltage is with the voltmeter between them two transformer wires and with the wires disconnected from the back of the fuse and the surge card. And.. for the SWCG transformer to have any input AC power, the system must be in Auto and in the Pool or Spa mode.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

To measure the AC voltage going into the surge card, you need to measure between the two AC inputs with the circuit breaker closed. You can't measure from one AC input to ground.

Let's assume that you only have 3 volts AC coming out of the transformer. In that case it could not possibly pop the breaker. :scratch:

So, I am confused with your results.

You really need to be able to isolate the two wires that come out of the SWCG transformer. One goes to the input to the fuse and the other to the surge card. You need to know what the AC voltage is with the voltmeter between them two transformer wires and with the wires disconnected from the back of the fuse and the surge card. And.. for the SWCG transformer to have any input AC power, the system must be in Auto and in the Pool or Spa mode.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Sorry, I was testing output from the transformer and output going from CB. The output of the transformer is 31v before going to the CB. Looks like bad CB ? 🤔

Sorry, I kind of got lost.. :scratch:

I guess it could just be a bad circuit breaker or a bad Surge card (SWCG power supply card).

It makes sense to replace the cheaper breaker first and see if that solves the issue. My "guess" is that the Surge card is bad and it is why the breaker is popping.

Let me see if I can find a P/N for the breaker.

Jim R.

When you power everything off can you reset the breaker?

When you power everything off can you reset the breaker?
I removed entire breaker and then I was able to reset. Now it is not tripping but no power to the salt cell as well. Two ac inputs to surge board is giving me 3 volt which should be close to 30 volt(one input from the transformer and another from the CB)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.