No lights on Pentair IC40 SCG

Templ10

May 22, 2024
Norman, OK
Pentair IC40 was working fine yesterday but today I cleaned out the pump basket and when I fired the pump back up the IC40 had no lights. The small IntelliChlor SCG 12amp breaker at the top right of the Intellicenter is also tripped. When I try to reset the breaker it immediately trips again. If I unplug the IC40 from the Intellicenter panel and then try to reset the breaker IT STAYS and I can see the green D2 light illuminated on the circuit board. If I plug the IC40 back in it will cause the breaker to trip again and the green D2 light goes off. IC40 is clean but is 4 years old. I have not tested the voltage coming from the transformer. Any thoughts?

Your cell is bad and the transformer is fine...

Sorry for you loss. :cry:

How old is the cell??

Thanks,
Thanks for the responses Allen and Jim! Jim, the cell is 4-5 years old.
One last thing before I go buy a new IC40 and install it. Any chance it is the circuit board? I've attached a couple of photos. One is zoomed out showing the upper panel without the salt cell connected (green D2 light is on) and the breaker is not tripped. The second is zoomed in with the the salt cell connected (green D2 light off) and the breaker tripped. I noticed that the screw is missing from the top part of the circuit board. Could that have caused a problem? Does the circuit board look ok visually?

Attachments

• IMG_1980.jpg
    IMG_1980.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1984.jpg
    IMG_1984.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 5

The circuit board changes the AC from the transformer into DC for the cell..

Logically, if the circuit board was bad, it would pop the breaker with the cell disconnected..

You can fire it up, without the cell, and see if you get 30 to 40 volts DC on the large Red and Black wires going to the cell.

Thanks,

Jim R.