Intellichlor

maryjimweaver

Jul 2, 2019
AZ
Hi, We have a brand new pool and I can not figure out why the intellichlor light's keep going out. I am not sure if the pump has to run at a certain level for the intellichlor to work or if there is anything else I can do to make it work!
Thanks for any help!
Mary

Welcome to the forum!
Do you have an automation system too or just the Intellichlor?
Can you explain what is showing for the lights on the Intellichlor? Maybe a picture?
Your pump does need to run at a rate high enough to close the flow switch. The Flow light should go from Red to Green.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Well, not ALL. With my Intellitouch automation, when the pump is off the flow light is red on the Intellichlor.

Then your Intellichlor is not properly wired following the Installation Manual.

The Intellichlor should be connected to the same power relay as the pump.

The pump is an Intelliflo so it's always getting power. When I moved to the Intelliflow from a single-speed pump I didn't think to change the Intellichlor wiring. Time to get out the manuals and schematics and get to work.

Which also explains the chlorinator low flow errors coming from the Intellitouch. If it were de-powered with the pump this wouldn;t happen.

Thanks!!

Do the Intelliflo and Intellichlor both have RS-485 connections to the Intellitouch?

I thought the Pentair automation told the Intelliflo pump to stop via the RS-485 communication and not the power relay. I would have thought it tells the Intellichlor to shut down at the same time.

I am at the edge of my Pentair automation understanding. Maybe @JamesW or @Jimrahbe can explain how the they should all be wired to shutoff properly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SC,

The power to the IntelliChlor's power transformer MUST pass through the Pump/Filter relay. The pump/filter relay only closes if the pump if being told to run.. Even though the pump is getting constant power, the relay is still needed to power the SWCG's power center.. When the pump gets a command from the RS-485 to run, the relay will also close to turn on the SWCG. This is the Primary safety device for the SWCG.. The flow switch is the Secondary safety device and should never be used as the only safety device.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.