Intellichlor keeps blowing fuse?

Aug 24, 2011
I have an IC20 pentair Intellichlor. And I noticed one day that there were no lights on the cell at all. After troubleshooting, I found that the fuse in the power center had blown. I replaced the fuse and turned the system on and the fuse immediately blew again.

I'm wondering if the cell is likely dead? I disconnected the cell's power cord and ran the pump again for a few minutes. In that case the fuse did not blow. It will only blows if I connect it to the cell. The cell is older...probably 4 years or so. I just don't want to buy a new cell if the power center is the problem.

Also, would I be able to use this chance to upgrade to the IC40 with the same power center?

Thanks for any advice!

Jerry,

Unfortunately, that sounds like the cell.. We have seen several with that reported failure and they were all fixed by replacing the cell..

I would for sure inspect the cell plates and make sure they were clean and not touching one another.

The same power center (the one in the metal box) is used for the IC20, 40, and 60..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I had same problem as yours three years ago. I replaced the old IC40 cell and the problem was solved.
My previous cell is very old, so I just replaced it. Yours is 4 years old, so you may acid wash it first before replacing it.

I have an IC20 pentair Intellichlor. And I noticed one day that there were no lights on the cell at all. After troubleshooting, I found that the fuse in the power center had blown. I replaced the fuse and turned the system on and the fuse immediately blew again.

I'm wondering if the cell is likely dead? I disconnected the cell's power cord and ran the pump again for a few minutes. In that case the fuse did not blow. It will only blows if I connect it to the cell. The cell is older...probably 4 years or so. I just don't want to buy a new cell if the power center is the problem.

Also, would I be able to use this chance to upgrade to the IC40 with the same power center?

Thanks for any advice!

Hi everyone,

I am experiencing the same issue with my IC40... I put in a new fuse and it instantly blows. I've acid-cleaned the cell so I know that's not the issue.

I've scoured the interwebs for an answer and a common response is, "sounds like a bad cell - just buy a new one." Only problem is, a new cell is almost $700, so before I plunk down that kind of money I'd like to see if I can diagnose what the *specific* problem is, especially since there are Intellichlor parts that can be purchased for a pretty reasonable price. Does anyone have insight into what specifically goes bad on a cell? Is it the flow switch? Cell plates? PCBA? Something else?

Many thanks for your expertise.
~David

Not sure what your complete setup is, but the IC40 for the most part is self contained. If the separate transformer located in your Easytouch or standalone power supply isn't shot, then their pretty much isn't anything to fix in the unit itself. $700 is a little steep for an IC40, but that seems to be the going rate at the local pool stores. I just purchased a new Cell from an Ebay pool store for $505 shipped to my door. After the sale, I was contacted by the seller who is called AZ Pool Parts and apparently has a brick and mortor store in AZ. That is always an option if you don't mind installing a new cell yourself.

Not sure what your complete setup is, but the IC40 for the most part is self contained. If the separate transformer located in your Easytouch or standalone power supply isn't shot, then their pretty much isn't anything to fix in the unit itself. $700 is a little steep for an IC40, but that seems to be the going rate at the local pool stores. I just purchased a new Cell from an Ebay pool store for $505 shipped to my door. After the sale, I was contacted by the seller who is called AZ Pool Parts and apparently has a brick and mortor store in AZ. That is always an option if you don't mind installing a new cell yourself.
Appreciate thread and had similar problem as on this thread. Please REALLY look at the fuse holder and the spade wire connectors in the power supply housing. After tracing the cell related circuits, I found an intermittent connection at the fuse spade connectors and inside the fuse housing courtesy of some oxidation and apparent arcing. The green LED would light dimly even if not enough current to drive the cell which complicated troubleshooting. I installed new fuse housing, fuse and replaced spade connectors - all Amazon items for about $15 and cell working great now. Worth a look.

Reactions: guinness
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.