IntelliChlor IC40 - No Salt Reading

D,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all of your "Salty" questions... :shark:

If the salt reading on the ET, or ScreenLogic, is zero, than that normally means that the cell is not communicating with the ET. In a few case just turning the system off and disconnecting and reconnecting the cell connector and then turning the system back on has corrected the salt readings. It has happened to me..

If the cell really thinks the salt reading is zero, it will turn on the low salt light and the cell will not produce chlorine. If the problem is like most that have recently been reported, the cell seems to work fine, it just does not tell the ET, or ScreenLogic, the salt level.

If the system is under warranty, then you should call for warranty repair and let Pentair handle it..

If the cell is out of warranty and the cell works, other than reporting zero salt, the best approach is to just use it the way it is. As long as the low salt light is not on, the cell will produce chlorine, and knowing the salt level is not all that important. At least not important enough to buy a new cell. :rolleyes:

You can try replacing the flow switch, which has a thermistor in it that is part of the salinity circuit.. But, generally the flow switch only causes the salt level to read low, or read high, in relation to the actual salt level. I am not sure how it would be possible for it to make the salt level read zero.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Uhg, I just noticed the same thing on mine, yesterday. I'll try the reset Jim suggests and report back tomorrow...

I bet Fred Flintstone didn't have these gadget problems with his pool!!

Something that I should have said first, is that you have to tell the EasyTouch that the cell is supposed to be there...

Menu, Settings, IntelliChlor, Enable = Yes... Worth double checking to ensure the cell is enabled..

Jim R.

Same thing here tonight. I got a zero reading. Seems to be communicating causes if I jerk the output up or down lights change. I got all green lights. I also caught the cell producing chlorine cause I had the extra green light on. I turned breaker off and then back on. No change. Didn't unplug any wires though. Check mark is on in setup on computer and i have a yes on the panel of easy touch.

i am getting pretty frustrated being that We just put in a new logic board in on Saturday morning. Everything else seems ok.

Your cell produces chlorine, not salt.

ya i know i just caught that. it's been a long day.

- - - Updated - - -

dirk where are you at on this? this AM i still have all green lights. 0 reading on screen logic. all i haven't done yet is the wire check. i have to do fast passes for a disney trip at 7 and then get to work so i won't get to it till tonight. i'm going to call my builder and see what we are going do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, here is my report:

- Turned off filter mode. Waited a bit.
- Turned off all breakers. Waited a bit.
- Unplugged IC from IntellipH, and IpH from IC transformer (external to ET). Waited a bit.
- Plugged in IC and IpH, wiggling as I went.
- Turned on breakers.
- Then turned on filter mode.
- Waited 5 minutes and fired up ScreenLogic: 0 salt.
- Checked on cell and it reports OK salt, OK flow. I'll have to catch it while it's producing (green light on Status section) to check on that. But FC is high right now (due to cooling temps) and I did see hydrogen bubbles yesterday, so I'm pretty sure my cell is producing.

Then...
I remembered that my IpH intercepts IC status, so I went back out and played around with the IpH menus. It does report both cell salt and temp (which is pretty cool, I must say), both now currently reading "----", which I presume further confirms the cell is no longer broadcasting salt and temp readings.

Then...
I remembered that sometimes ScreenLogic's interface adapter has given me grief, so I reset that, too (by unplugging both connections: ethernet and ET cabling).
No joy. I wasn't expecting any, since my IpH is before the ET, but thought I'd be thorough.

The cell is defective. Next stop: Pentair...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.