Intellichlor IC40 Issues Or Not?

Apr 17, 2013
Kansas
Greetings everyone!

I am now in my second full season of pool use after we finished our remodel last spring.

All our Pentair equipment is new. I am a newbie on SWG and have read the helpful guides on this awesome site.

Last year, in my first year, I seem to have had an easy time keeping my pool sparkling with stable FC levels and other levels.

This year, I'm having issues keeping my FC levels up. In the early spring, I added stabilizer to bring my CYA from 20 to 40. It remains at 40.

I keep my pH around 7.2, Alk 80. I usually add about a half gallon of muriatic acid every week, which I was told is normal.

My pool is only in full sun for 2 hours in the midday. The rest of the time, it is partial sun. Our temps are now getting into real summer, hovering around 95-100F. Pool temp stays at a very comfortable 84F.

At the start of the pool season, I bought the IntelliChlor cell cleaning kit and followed the instructions to clean with diluted muriatic acid. It only foamed slightly then stopped reacting. The cell looked clean before and after.

Now, I am running my IC40 at 100% for 22 hours a day, pump speed around 2800. All my lights are green. My FC stays at 1. Last year was nothing like this... I would typically run my IC40 at 20% to reach FC to 3. I don't recall what my CYA was last year...

I had my service guy out and he tested my IC40 just by measuring FC output and he said it wasn't bad enough to replace with warranty (whatever that means).

I will appreciate your responses.

Thank you!

In TX, I keep my CYA close to 80 to 90 and then my IC40 does a much better job of keeping up. With your size pool the IC40 is okay but when mine goes I'm going with the IC60. Definitely perform a OCLT first if pass then maybe increase CYA.

Thank you all for responding.

Makes very good sense to me. I'm going with the overnight test.

Sounds like I'm best increasing my CYA (carefully). I know that takes a little while to test right and I'm best not to overdo it or I will have to drain some water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.