Do you use the IntelliCenter Web-Client and if so, how?

• 1. I only use the web-client for setting up configs. I use the mobile app for pool control.

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • 2. I DO NOT use the mobile app. I use the web-client for setting up configs AND for pool control.

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • 3. I DO NOT use the web-client. I use the mobile app for both setting up configs and pool control.

Votes: 9 25.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MyAZPool

Gold Supporter
Jul 3, 2018
Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
2023-09-07_18-11-13.jpg

TO ALL INTELLICENTER USERS

Since the introduction of IntelliCenter nearly five years ago, I know that many of you have voiced your dissatisfaction here on the forum, regarding the outdated, user-unfriendly and overall “clunky” style of the IntelliCenter Web-Client (intellicenter2.com).

As some of you may be aware, for quite some time I have been attempting to “make-the-case” to Pentair, regarding an entire overhaul of the IntelliCenter Web-Client (better functionality, layout, navigation and overall more “user-friendly”).

Pentair is listening. However, they may require further justification in order to devote necessary resources towards a web-client overhaul. The decision for this action may simply come down to just how IntelliCenter users, actually utilize the web-client or if they even use the web-client at all.

I have proposed to Pentair, a polling / user-input of TFP members who use the IntelliCenter web-client (or not) and if so, how do they use it. They liked that idea, so here it is.
The polling has three options that a user may select as listed above. Please vote only if you are a current IntelliCenter user.

1. I only use the web-client for setting up configurations (i.e., Settings, Circuits, Valves, Heaters, Pumps, Schedules, etc.). And then I mostly use the mobile app (iOS or Android), for typical pool control.
  2. I use the web-client for both (setting up configurations AND to control the pool) and I rarely (if at all) use the mobile app.
  3. I only use the mobile app for both (configurations and pool control). I DO NOT use the web-client at all.

Please click the corresponding radio button that most closely matches how you use the web-client and click the "Cast Vote" button.

If you care to leave additional comments regarding this poll or suggestions with regards to a web-client overhaul, that would be great. I will be happy to compile them and pass them along, together with the poll results, to the applicable Pentair Senior Product Manager.

Thanks in advance for your participation.
r.

Note: This pool poll will close 53 days from the date of this posting (October 31, 2023).

Last edited:
2. I use the web-client for both (setting up configurations AND to control the pool) and I rarely (if at all) use the mobile app.

This is not what choice 2 asks.

The poll does not work. It looks like it is closed to votes.

Before we make the two platform apps user friendly Pentair should just fix the bugs and get them to work consistently.

I use whichever platform is at hand and if something does not work on one platform I switch to the other and it usually works.

In addition there are things you can see or do on the apps that you can not on the OCP/ICP. Why? Two examples are pump speed and power usage and setting the Intellichlor to SUPER CHLORINATE. Both were lost on the OCP/ICP with the 2.017 update.

I think Pentair needs to work on functionality and stability before ease of use and friendliness. Unless the best way to get everything working is to redo it, again.

Reactions: Justatesta
Poll now open and works.

I choose 2 with this meaning - I use the web-client for both (setting up configurations AND to control the pool) and I rarely (if at all) use the mobile app - not what is posted in the poll. I do use the mobile app also a bit more then rarely.

Reactions: newdude
I cast as #1 just because that is how I have utilized it based on the wonkiness of the setup. I would probably use mostly mobile, if I thought that it would work.

I'm with @bdavis466 on the heater bypass. And with0 @ajw22 on his comments. I think the intellicenter users would like the Crud to work THE EXACT SAME across all devices, be it the OCP, Mobile, web client, or hocus pocus. Whatever bs they come up with next.

I am fortunate to be smart enough to understand that if it isn't working on one device, to jump to another to see if it will function the way that I want. It is absolutely ignorant that this is a step that I have to take.

Sorry for the harshness, but it is extremely frustrating that they are so ignorant as to even be asking you about whether or not they should put effort into it. I have controls engineers at work who put more effort into how to control an industrial fluid heater in a refinery than these yayhoos put into pool automation (FYI - the pool market is more valuable). Further justification???? how about to become the #1 pool automation control platform?!?!?!?! Nobody puts effort into this and if they would spend, I dunno, 15% more time on this, they would easily be the #1. As it is they are about equal with the other two knuckleheads. I for one deal with the inadequacies because I am lazy. I could easily build a PLC with an HMI that would blow the intellicenter out of the water. But I am busy with my work and life. So I want something that just works. Hence the reason I own an iPhone. It just works. How about a pool automation platform that just does that???

Again, apologies for the harshness of my comments. It is extremely frustrating that they have you as a pathway to what would propel them to easily the best pool automation but they choose to have to find the need to 'justify' it.

--Jeff

Reactions: MyAZPool
I use #1 for configuration changes and the mobile app for anything else, however I have been known to use the intelliCenter panel to change the SWCG percentage, reason being, where I run my weekly water tests it’s right next to the panel so it’s handy for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On another note, Pentair asked for a poll? Shouldn’t they be able to know exactly what every user does since it all goes through their servers?😂

I think we are seeing the dysfunction of organization silos who use many outside contractors.

I would love to know how many people on the "Intellicenter Team" have pools and eat their own dog food (use the IntelliCenter).

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
I posted an example of the web client quirkiness in this thread...

I selected option 1, but an option 4 (I use the web-client and mobile app for pool control) would have been a better choice. For me the web client is very convenient when at my desk to make any adjustments. Setup via the OCP or via mobile app would have been very difficult. I do - at times - use either the mobile app or the OCP, but generally the web client is my go-to for any setup changes. It is just more convenient and provides a holistic picture that is not available elsewhere. One key role of the web client for me is with each FW update. I screenshot EVERYTHING before the update and compare after. This is just not possible (or realistic) via the OCP or mobile app.

Lastly, a shoutout for the Apple Watch app .... it is in dire need of a refresh!!

I vote 1 yet as others have stated, both interfaces need some work. I have flipped back and forth depending on needs or if the app is acting up. Would love to see Pentair put some work into polishing it all up. Get the bugs fixed and lets add some more bells and whistles!!

AZPool, I absolutely appreciate all the useful posts you've made regarding the Intellicenter. I'm glad you're still providing feedback to Pentair. Maybe one of these days I'll actually get my system working perfectly, hah.

I voted option 1. Sure, I sometimes will do control tasks when I'm on my computer, and I'll sometimes do configuration tasks on the app. But most of the time, my usage matches #1. If I'm doing major configuration changes I'd rather be sitting at my computer desk. I've got a large monitor with the web app open, multiple windows, documentation, etc... It's great for getting things done. For controlling things, unless I'm already at my desk, I'm grabbing my phone. Apps usually work better on phones than web pages on phones, unless the vendor puts a lot of work into optimizing the web UI for both platforms. If the web page worked really well from a phone, I wouldn't have a strong preference. The only thing I use the front panel for is controlling the pump manually when I'm doing maintenance that puts me at the pool pad, i.e. backwashing or setting up the vacuum. It's fine for that*, but I'd hate to have to configure everything on that tiny touchscreen.

* Except for the fact that I never got the settings in the maintenance menu to work properly, i.e. the backwash setting doesn't do anything. Maybe I'll figure that out one of these days.

Before we make the two platform apps user friendly Pentair should just fix the bugs and get them to work consistently.
User friendliness is part of getting things to work correctly. Honestly, the entire system is just a mess of non-intuitive nonsense. When I was first setting mine up I had absolutely no idea how to get it to crank up the pump speed when it calls for heat on the heater. If a user can't figure out how to turn on a feature, then that feature is essentially broken. Everything about the UI needs to be redone from the ground up.
I would love to know how many people on the "Intellicenter Team" have pools and eat their own dog food (use the IntelliCenter).
Does a single unpaid intern qualify as a team? Can they afford a pool? (oh snap)
Hence the reason I own an iPhone. It just works. How about a pool automation platform that just does that???
I'm a computer guy by profession, doing datacenter-level IT infrastructure. I work with all sorts of custom hardware / firmware / software. Storage arrays, networking, etc... and figuring out how to configure and use that stuff is a core part of the job, and I've been doing it for quite a long time. With that said, Intellicenter is one of the worst systems I've every had to work with**. The software is bad. The documentation is bad. If I was evaluating this system professionally, I'd tell my client to buy something else. ...except for that the fact that pool automation systems seem generally terrible across the board. At least there's potential for Intellicenter to improve over time.

I installed my Intellicenter at the start of the 2020 swim season, so I guess I've just completed my fourth season. Most of my interaction with it these days is just turning the heater on / off, or adjusting SWCG output. If I had a pool company that did all the configuration work, I might actually be happy with it, purely as an end user.

** Dear Pentair: Call up APC and thank them profusely, because the APC Infrastruxure software circa 2012 set a new standard for "terrible." Intellicenter comes close, but APC has it beat.

Last edited:
I voted for 1, but use both. I use the iPhone app to run the pool 95% of the time and then use the web interface for setup, configs, updates and changes to schedules, basically anything other than pushing a button on the iPhone App.

I would love the Apple Watch app to be updated as I use it when in the pool and it doesnt work very well anymore.

Get the Intellivalves working finally as intended 5 years ago and I'll order a few more.

• Love
I voted for #1 a few weeks ago, but I really use both the web and mobile depending on what is most convenient.
I've got IntelliChem, and viewing trend information for ORP/pH is impossible in the mobile app, so I need to view that on the web.
I do use the web to configure schedules or other circuits (why do homeowners need to know what a 'circuit' is?!), and stuff.
It really depends on what I'm doing, where I am when I'm doing it, and what works best for that function at that time.

Is Pentair also doing away with the web interface? I get this message (check the attached pic) on both the web and on mobile (android).
BTW, moving to the Pentair 'Home' app is silly, as you can only connect to the IntelliCenter LOCALLY, by putting in an IP address (and it doesn't even save the IP address).
The Pentair app looks 100 years old, BTW, so I don't know what they are doing...

Attachments

• IntelliCenter2-Web.jpg
    IntelliCenter2-Web.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 1000026453.jpg
    1000026453.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 1000026454.jpg
    1000026454.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 1000026457.jpg
    1000026457.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 7
All,

The IntelliCenter Web-client/Mobile App poll has officially closed.

Wow… Great participation. Thanks to all of the TFP Members/IntelliCenter users who participated. And many thanks to those that left helpful comments/suggestions as well.

Some were a bit harsh but that's okay as sometimes it takes a "boot" (you know where), to get things rolling. 😁

During the voting, I thought it best to stay out of the poll/thread (no comments/likes, etc.), Yea, I was a #1 as well.

I have already rolled-up the results along with the constructive comments and suggestions and forwarded them to the applicable Pentair managers for their evaluations and hopefully future actions/improvements based on these results/comments.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time out to participate. I really appreciate your input and I’m confident that Pentair does as well.

r.

Last edited:
Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.