Intellicenter w/IC40 or Easy Touch w/IC60

Poolmama!

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Feb 20, 2019
Celina, Tx
We're in the building process and had equipment delivered. PB went with Intellicenter IC40. We previously spoke about IC60 as our pool is about 23,200 gallons. Apparently Intellicenter isn't showing as available with IC60, only IC40. So I'm curious what the experts here would suggest. Is Intellicenter that much better to justify smaller SWG, or better to get Easy Touch with IC60. He's currently verifying availability of IC60 with Intellicenter, but in the meantime I'm interested in additional input on this choice.

They can get it with the IC60, but most likely takes a special order.

The IC40 will work as long as you are good with running your pump 12+ hours per day.

PM,

I would go with the IntelliCenter with the IC40... You will just have to run it a little harder and a little longer here in the Dallas area. This will use the cell up slightly sooner, but then you can just buy a new IC60 cell.. The most important part, in my mind, is getting the IntelliCenter with the built-in salt cell power supply...

The IntelliCenter is just that much better.. Just a couple of examples.. The ET has a max of 12 schedules.. the IC has 100!!! The ET has to have an add on called ScreenLogic so you can use your PC or phone.. The IC comes with a built-in web control system..

The ET will work for you.. The IC will work better for you...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Poolmama!
Thank you, both...that's exactly what I needed to know. I think that's what he would recommend, too, but just wanted to run by more eyes. Hopefully we can get it with the IC60 and have the best of both worlds!

Whisperflo is a high head pump. It's not a good choice for a water feature.

Pentair makes a water feature pump that is a much better choice.

WaterFall™ Specialty Pumps

It's very important that the plumbing is big enough when using a high flow, low head water feature pump.

Many builders undersize the plumbing and use the wrong pump.

What is the required flow rate for the water feature?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
High head means high pressure.

Waterfalls are low pressure. So, the pump won't run correctly. It will be loud and use way too much power.

High pressure pumps use a smaller impeller that runs fast.

Low pressure pumps use a big impeller that runs at 1/2 the speed of a high pressure pump.

For quiet, high efficiency operation, you want big plumbing and a water feature pump. Not small plumbing and a high pressure pump.

High head means high pressure.

Waterfalls are low pressure. So, the pump won't run correctly. It will be loud and use way too much power.

High pressure pumps use a smaller impeller that runs fast.

Low pressure pumps use a big impeller that runs at 1/2 the speed of a high pressure pump.

For quiet, high efficiency operation, you want big plumbing and a water feature pump. Not small plumbing and a high pressure pump.

Would the plumbing run distance make a difference? I remember our PB being a little concerned about the run length from the equipment to that side of the pool. I also might be missing something else on that pump? I'll ask!

The distance and the flow rate make a difference in what pipe size you need.

If you can tell us the distance and the flow rate required, we can tell you what size the pipe needs to be.

Also, the make, model and number of feature outlets would be helpful as well.

You're probably going to need a minimum of 3" pipe and maybe bigger depending on the specifics.

Last edited:
PM,

Was the in-floor cleaning system something that you wanted, or something the pool builder said to buy?

We have a few IFCS supporters, who love them, but I believe that the vast majority of our users do not.. They are basically a profit center for the PB, something similar to extended warranties when you buy a car.

Using a water powered cleaner, makes as much sense as using an old black rotary-dail phone instead of a cell phone.. I will agree that they both can make a call, but what do you use???

Thanks,

Jim R.

PM,

Was the in-floor cleaning system something that you wanted, or something the pool builder said to buy?

We have a few IFCS supporters, who love them, but I believe that the vast majority of our users do not.. They are basically a profit center for the PB, something similar to extended warranties when you buy a car.

Using a water powered cleaner, makes as much sense as using an old black rotary-dail phone instead of a cell phone.. I will agree that they both can make a call, but what do you use???

Thanks,

Jim R.

We definitely went back and forth on it. PB gave us pros and cons and didn't push for or against. Since we wanted a heater (I hate cold water...hate.cold.water), we aren't spring chickens and have some back issues and were looking for as easy as we can get on maintenance...we decided to do it for better heat distribution, not lifting a robot in and out, etc. And, worst case we can just get a robot later but we couldn't add the in floor later. We've waited a very long time to have a pool so pinching every penny wasn't the priority to be honest...making our pool experience as easy as possible was a higher priority. Hopefully I'll be back in a few months saying it was worth it! If not, a robot it is!

PM,

Well you can't say we didn't warn ya, and if you do love it, you can always come back and thumb your nose at me.. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the feedback,

Jim R.

I've learned so much from this site already, I won't be thumbing my nose at anyone! I don't even have water yet (well, except rain water that we keep having to pump out)...so many more questions coming. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.