IntelliCenter + single IntelliValve controlling multiple water features

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Allen,

It does not do it using just one valve... It does it by controlling both the Intake and Return valves... It goes like this..

Pool mode... the Intake valve is set to suck the water from the pool, into the pump, which pushes the water through the filter and heater and into the Return Valve which returns all the water to the pool.

Spa mode... the Intake valve is set to suck the water from the Spa, into the pump, which pushes the water through the filter and heater and into the Return Valve which returns all the water to the Spa.

Spillover mode... the Intake valve is set to suck the water from the pool, into the pump, which pushes the water through the filter and heater and into the Return Valve which returns all the water to the Spa. Obviously, with the spa drain shut off, water going in has to overflow into the pool...

The down side to this standard set up is that you can't control the amount of water flowing over.. This is where a VS pump can be automatically adjusted to make the spillover look like you want.

Maybe you can do the same with the new IntelliValve, but I am not holding my breath... :p

Jim R.

guinness

May 3, 2019
California
Has anyone heard any more about a firmware update for controlling the Intellivalve actuators? I read the latest firmware release notes but I don't see any mention.

MyAZPool mentioned the Serial Com Port Expansion Board (520818) but since I only really want to control the return valve in this manner, could I just wire the Intellivalve green and yellow wires into one of the two existing COM port connectors for when the firmware is updated?

MyAZPool

Gold Supporter
Jul 3, 2018
Arizona
guinness
Has anyone heard any more about a firmware update for controlling the Intellivalve actuators? I read the latest firmware release notes but I don't see any mention.
Nothing yet. We are still on update 1.023. I will post something as soon as a new update is released.

MyAZPool mentioned the Serial Com Port Expansion Board (520818) but since I only really want to control the return valve in this manner, could I just wire the Intellivalve green and yellow wires into one of the two existing COM port connectors for when the firmware is updated?
That's a really good question! Now that you bring it up, it does seem to me that the green and yellow wires would lead to the green and yellow RS-485 connectors on the mother card. But, how would the logic module know which valve to actuate? Seems logical but I do not have a definitive answer. I'll try to find out from Pentair and will also look at the back of my Serial COM Expansion Board and see if I can follow the solder leads and see if I can give you a bit more info.
Take care and I'll get back with you if I can get some more info on this....
r.

guinness

May 3, 2019
California
Thanks Ron, your postings about the IntelliCenter were very helpful as there is a dearth of information on this new system. If it wasn't for you and other posters I would've likely installed the EasyTouch instead.

Regarding your question, the RS-485 protocol supports up to 32 devices that are uniquely addressable by ID that is usually set by jumpers/dip switches. I'm not sure what Pentair did with the IntelliValve though.

Last edited:
Reactions: MyAZPool

guinness

May 3, 2019
California
I'll try to find out from Pentair and will also look at the back of my Serial COM Expansion Board and see if I can follow the solder leads and see if I can give you a bit more info.
I suspect that the expansion board will show those connections will be daisy chained (see diagram below). For a single device I still think you could wire it directly to a spare COM port on the main board.

I'm thinking that each IntelliValve has a default address, but can be reassigned another by Intellicenter when added to the network. I assume some manual input is needed to map the device to the function.

This is where things get interesting. I assume it's fairly trivial for the controller to get and set the stop points for each valve electronically (and possibly disabling the panel on the Intellivalve like the Intelliflo).

Last edited:

MyAZPool

Gold Supporter
Jul 3, 2018
Arizona
I suspect that the expansion board will show those connections will be daisy chained (see diagram below). For a single device I still think you could wire it directly to a spare COM port on the main board.

I'm thinking that each IntelliValve has a default address, but can be reassigned another by Intellicenter when added to the network. I assume some manual input is needed to map the device to the function.

This is where things get interesting. I assume it's fairly trivial for the controller to get and set the stop points for each valve electronically (and possibly disabling the panel on the Intellivalve like the Intelliflo).
guinness
Here is what the front and back of the board look like.
I think you are right on. Yep looks like the J8 through J13 (IntelliValve RS485 two-pin connectors) connect to the J4 connector.
Thanks much for the explanation. Makes more sense now.
Thanks again and take care.
r.

Reactions: guinness