Oklahoma
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Is there a way to program the IC40 output dependent on the pump schedule? Example, when in a high/skim mode reduce output but then in low speed mode increase output. Goal being to somewhat even out chlorine output rather than it spiking up/down based on pump speed. Bad idea?

The SWCG chlorine output does not vary with rpm/gpm. As long as the flow is sufficient to close the flow switch.

Reactions: proavia

What Marty said above. :goodjob:

How many hours a day do you currently run your pump and cell?

Thanks,

Jim R.
24 hours/day

I assumed lower flow rate would reduce the amount of chlorine output, but I guess I understand. But with less flow, less water flowing through and salt converting to chlorine?

The cell makes the same amount of chlorine no matter the flow as long as the flow switch is closed.

If you run your pump 24/7, you will see a higher FC in the morning as chlorine is not being consumed by the sun at night. Then as the day goes on, the FC in the pool might decrease a little because of the sun and the swimmer load.

The key here to to make sure your FC is at or above your target level based upon your CYA. Do not try to keep your FC between the minimum and your target.

If the sun is consuming a lot of FC in the day time, your CYA is probably not high enough.

What is your current CYA level??

What FC level are you trying to maintain?

Thanks,

Jim R.

The cell makes the same amount of chlorine no matter the flow as long as the flow switch is closed.

If you run your pump 24/7, you will see a higher FC in the morning as chlorine is not being consumed by the sun at night. Then as the day goes on, the FC in the pool might decrease a little because of the sun and the swimmer load.

The key here to to make sure your FC is at or above your target level based upon your CYA. Do not try to keep your FC between the minimum and your target.

If the sun is consuming a lot of FC in the day time, your CYA is probably not high enough.

What is your current CYA level??

What FC level are you trying to maintain?

Thanks,

Jim R.
CYA was 70 2 days ago, FC was 3.5 this morning so I cranked SWG from 30% to 75% to see what kind of increase I get. Target for FC per Pool Math is 5-10ppm. This is only 2nd full day with the SWG on.

If this is just day number 2 are you doing remarkably well.. :goodjob:

I suggest that you try not to micromanage your cell as if will just drive you crazy. :mrgreen:

The whole point of having a SWCG is to make pool life easy. I tend to just let my SWCG do its thing as long as my FC is at or above my target. Doing this means I only worry if my FC is too low.. Or if it gets well above the target range.

The idea is to set your SWCG to produce the average amount of FC your pool uses each day. My guess is that most pools in your area use 3 to 4 ppm of FC per day. Let's use 3.5 as a starting point.

Your cell, in your pool, will produce about 7 ppm of FC if run at 100% output for 24 hours.
So,, at 30% your cell is only making about 2 ppm of FC per day.
At 75% you cell should be making about 5.25 ppm of FC per day.

To make 3.5 pp of FC per day you need to set your cell to about 50%..

There is no doubt that you will have to adjust things to match your pool, but once you get your FC up to your target level, you should not have to adjust it but maybe a couple of times a month, if that.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.