ROCMILLER

Apr 29, 2022
Webster, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hoping someone can help answer a question. I have a intellicenter loadcenter currently feeding pump, heater, filter, two led pool lights. We are in the process of adding hot tub and a shed. As long as the load doesn't exceed what is being used, can I use the loadcenter as my sub panel and bring 220v to the tub and another small 20a circuit to the shed from the loadcenter or am I asking for trouble? Alternatively I'll take it from my main panel - just trying to reduce the work/wiring cost.

Attachments

• Panel1456.jpg
    Panel1456.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 29
Roc,

Most spas need 60 amp and often two different circuit breakers.

What size breaker, in your house circuit breaker panel, is feeding your IntelliCenter?

The basic idea is sound, I am just not sure that the wire size you have is big enough for everything.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Roc,

I have no idea what "double pull 60" means.. (Just me, I'm sure) Edit.. I now suspect a typo and Pull should have been Pole..

Does it mean that you have a 60 amp 240 volt breaker that feeds your IntelliCenter?

If that is correct, then as long as you don't draw any more than 60 amps it will work. I think code says something like 80% but in theory it will work.

Thanks,

Jim R.

According to Pentair that is a 150a load center in the box. Had to stop before I finished, sorry. To use that capacity you would need to upgrade, at the very least, the wiring going to the Pentair and possibly the panel with the 60A breaker. If that panel can handle the amperage you would need to get to replace the 60A.

Last edited:
According to Pentair that is a 150a load center in the box.

The Load Center can handle up to a 150 amp feed.

But if you only have a 60 amp feeder into the Load Center then that is the maximum capacity and it cannot handle typical pump + lights AND a 50-60 amp HP.

That what I'm doing with mine, but as others have said, you need a larger feed going to Intellicenter. I'm running 100amps from my main panel, then have a 50 amp breaker just for the hot tub (and several smaller breakers for pool equipment). You're also going to need a separate shutoff for the hot tub - at least you do in my area.

You're also going to need a separate shutoff for the hot tub - at least you do in my area.

From ,,,

This is the way 680.12 reads: “Maintenance Disconnecting Means. One or more means to disconnect all ungrounded conductors shall be provided for all utilization equipment other than lighting. Each means shall be accessible and within sight from its equipment.”

Although a maintenance disconnect switch may be located behind the skirt of a spa or hot tub, and may be required by the installation instructions provided by the manufacturer, at least one other disconnecting means is required by other parts of the Code.

Switching devices are required to be located at least 5 feet horizontally from the inside walls of a pool unless separated by a permanent barrier. In my opinion, the skirt of a hot tub or spa is a permanent barrier even though it can be removed for servicing the equipment.

Here are some of the rules that require an additional disconnecting means:

An emergency switch for spas and hot tubs is required by 680.41. This switch must be identified as an emergency disconnect and must stop the motor(s) in the circulation and jet systems when placed in the off position. It must be readily accessible, within sight and not located closer than 5 feet from the inside walls of the spa or hot tub. This rule applies to all occupancies except one-family dwellings.

A disconnecting means for motors is required by 430.102. This disconnect must be within sight (visible and not more than 50 feet away), and at least one disconnecting means for the motor must be readily accessible.

For motors rated more than 1/8 hp and not more than 2 hp, a general use switch with an Ampere rating that is at least twice the full load current of the motor can be used, or a general use snap switch that is suitable for use on AC circuits only can be used as the disconnecting means provided that the full load current of the motor does not exceed 80 percent of the Ampere rating of the switch. This information is in 430. 109(B) and (C).

In the absence of any manufacturer’s instructions that require a disconnect behind the skirt of the hot tub or spa, a single switch meeting the requirements of 430-109, located not less than 5 feet from the inside walls of the spa or hot tub, readily accessible, and identified as an emergency switch if necessary, satisfies all the rules in the National Electrical Code for the type and location of this switch.

Reactions: Foxer
Use your existing #6 feed wires to pull in new #3 wire and change your breaker to a 100a 2 pole. Will be a tight squeeze in 1" PVC but it will work. Alternately you can pull in #4 and use a 80a 2 pole breaker if you can find one. Either would be enough power for your pool, hot tub and a few small loads.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.