IntelliCenter Intake Valve Off in Pool Mode

MateoRose

Apr 17, 2022
Northern California
Hi everyone,

Hoping the community can help me out as I’ve had no luck with Pentair nor the installer that completed the work. When my IntelliCenter is in pool mode, the intake valve is powered off and the return valve is powered on. All is good until I put it in spa mode.

When I enable Spa mode, the return valve rotates to the pool side (pool closed) and the intake valve powers on, flashes blue and then stays on the spa side (spa closed). I have to manually switch it to pool side (pool closed). Then before turning the spa off, I have to manually switch it back to the spa side (spa closed) otherwise I wake up to an empty spa in the morning when the filter kicks on.

I’ve tried switch the valves in the circuit board with the same results. I’ve reconfigured the system fully and it performs the same way.

Any thoughts would be super appreciated!

Your valves should never power off and only change positions depending on which mode the system is in.

So when in any mode are there lights on the valve you should still see lights on any valve connected to the IntelliCenter. If you are seeing a blue flashing light on the valve when switching, this indicates that the valve is booting. If this is the case you have a wiring or a panel issue.

The intake valve only turns on when in spa mode and does not rotate after it boots up (after blue light flashes) and stays in the home position (spa closed, pool open). I’ve switched the wiring between the intake and return plugs on the circuit board and the valve performs the same way.

Some quick background, I have an in ground pool (17K gallons) and an in ground spa (2500 gallons) that spills over into the pool. Hayward filter with heater. I had a pool company replace my panel, valves and filter pump with all new Pentair equipment, but unfortunately the were not skilled in the automation piece of it and it’s functioned like this since initial install back in April of 2021.

Just trying to figure out next steps. Should I engage Pentair support again or ask a pool professional out to look at it?

Post pics of your equipment pad, vakves, and the IntelliCenter panel opened up showing the wiring, and the low voltage top opened showing the actuator sockets.

The valves should never turn off. There should always be lights illuminated on the valves when power is supplied to IntelliCenter. When the valve is connected to powered up IntelliCenter system there are only two states for the valve... diverted and not diverted. They should never be off and lights should always be present on them.

If at any time there are no lights on the valve then you have an issue. To determine whether it is the valve or the controller, swap the connection plugs on the circuit board and if the same valve loses power then it is the valve. If it is not then it is the IntelliCenter daughter card.

If it is the valve then trace the wires on that valve making sure none of the wires are broken, damaged, or cut as they make their way through the low voltage raceway on the load center. If it is the controller then remove the daughter card and inspect the edge connector for any damage or dirt on the connector. Then firmly re-seat the card with the i5P motherboard. Do not perform any of these steps while there is still power on the load center.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.