IntelliCenter Home Automation Integration and Control

Agreed... Alexa integration would be great. It'll be just another nail in the coffin for the clunky and ineffective Pentair UI's.

I have some experience architecting and developing in AWS and have written some basic Alexa skills for personal use, this might be something I can assist with in the offseason (materials being delivered on Tuesday, digging starts this week!).

Reactions: MyAZPool
In case anyone is interested, fellow member Ryan has created a new app to control the IntelliCenter and needs some testers.

I think it might have been @cmc0619 on this thread or one of the other alternative automation threads who said "You can never have to many rp's".
Just curious how much is enough for Pool Automation and Control? :p
1595181468634.png

• Haha
Reactions: cmc0619
Just a quick update for those following, especially as it pertains to the current inability to edit existing schedules in Pentair's native UI's.
This is not a problem using the Node.js poolController/DashPanel.

As some know, I was having a problem getting my schedules to edit/save in the Node.js dashpanel as well, but that was apparently because I was running a beta version firmware that was causing an error when attempting to save a schedule.

@rstrouse has identified the issue and corrected it (man, that guy is a magician :p ).... So, hats off to him for running that issue "to ground" for me!

Finally, I have an interface now where I can actually edit and save an existing IntelliCenter schedule on my workstation or iPad, without having to walk out to the panel in 112 degree temps.
:party:
r.

Just a quick update for those following, especially as it pertains to the current inability to edit existing schedules in Pentair's native UI's.
This is not a problem using the Node.js poolController/DashPanel.

As some know, I was having a problem getting my schedules to edit/save in the Node.js dashpanel as well, but that was apparently because I was running a beta version firmware that was causing an error when attempting to save a schedule.

@rstrouse has identified the issue and corrected it (man, that guy is a magician :p ).... So, hats off to him for running that issue "to ground" for me!

Finally, I have an interface now where I can actually edit and save an existing IntelliCenter schedule on my workstation or iPad, without having to walk out to the panel in 112 degree temps.
:party:
r.

Ron,

*** Update*** Never mind. I'm traveling and on a work computer that won't let me install nodejs. Will have to wait 'till I get home.

This is great! Can you please provide a little more information on how to get this up and running on a laptop? I've downloaded the zip file from Github but not sure how to get it running.

Thanks.

Chris

Last edited:
It's on the internal test track at Google Play if you want to give it a go. A version for iOS is also in the works but waiting for testing to be done on Android first.
I can't seem to get it to connect to my server. Have entered the IP address and confirmed on the panel that it's correct. Is there something additional I need to do?

Thanks.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can't seem to get it to connect to my server. Have entered the IP address and confirmed on the panel that it's correct. Is there something additional I need to do?

Thanks.

Chris
Chris,
There are two alternative UI systems that you can use.
One is the Node.js Pool Controller Dash Panel that I and some others are using as referenced by @Katodude. You can see more of that here:
and here...

Or you can also use the IntelliCenter Gateway and Control Apps UI that @rmontgomery did an outstanding "bang-up" job with, and that @guinness referred to above. Either should work out for you and the IntelliCenter Gateway and Control Apps may be preferred for anyone using an android mobile device in my opinion. If utilizing this particular UI on a desktop/laptop, then you will need to run the "Bluestacks" Android Emulator app, which is no big deal.

I have used both. For my needs, I slightly prefer the Node.js Pool Controller Dash Panel but it is much more difficult to setup in the beginning. The big advantage of the Gateway and Control app in my opinion is it's ease of initial setup. Especially if you don't want to incorporate a raspberry pi in the mix to act as a server.

I'll let you take input from both camps and you can choose which UI will work out best for you... I just want to commend all of these developers (@rstrouse, @guinness, @rmontgomery, @mcqwerty on really taking the ball and running with it, in order to allow us to utilize alternative UI's for our IntelliCenters!! Also @Katodude and @cmc0619 for their massive contributions to these efforts as well. Without all of these developers and IT experts efforts, we would be confined to using the the Pentair IntelliCenter Prod Servers and all of the inherent problems that come with it.

Once that IntelliValve nut gets cracked over on GitHub, we'll really be in business. (y) Thanks again, to all who are participating and lending their talents in these efforts!!!

Chris, please take care and stay safe...
r.

Last edited:
Excited to see the progress here, my pool won't start construction for another couple months. As a Homeassistant user, with node-red, grafana, influxdb and several pi's around the house waiting to be put the use, I can't wait to join in the fun.
silfa718
Nice!!! Welcome.. When the time comes, we can get you up to speed with these alternative UI's..
Any of these UI's would certainly be enhanced by a grafana SME...
I have played around with it but as I have stated previously in some of these threads, I found it to be a pretty steep learning curve for me.
I have designed some samples of what could be done by someone that really knows their way around grafana.... Very exciting to have you join in the "fun"!

Let's get that "cement pond" dug and built... and then get you involved in the "darkside" of pool automation. :p
Thanks!!
r.

silfa718
Nice!!! Welcome.. When the time comes, we can get you up to speed with these alternative UI's..
Any of these UI's would certainly be enhanced by a grafana SME...
I have played around with it but as I have stated previously in some of these threads, I found it to be a pretty steep learning curve for me.
I have designed some samples of what could be done by someone that really knows their way around grafana.... Very exciting to have you join in the "fun"!

Let's get that "cement pond" dug and built... and then get you involved in the "darkside" of pool automation. :p
Thanks!!
r.

I'm excited to get my feet wet in the pool and with pool automation.

I almost went with an Intelitouch system but reading here led to me to spec an InteliCenter.
Is there anything else equipment wise I should look into with automation in mind?
I already have ethernet pulled to the equipment area.

silfa718

I'm excited to get my feet wet in the pool and with pool automation.
Yea, absolutely.. It'll be good times for sure. ;)

I almost went with an Intelitouch system but reading here led to me to spec an InteliCenter.
Good call in my opinion. For a whole host of reasons.

Is there anything else equipment wise I should look into with automation in mind?
Why don't you start a new thread on that topic or shoot me your current equipment list in a pm if you prefer and we can start from there.

I already have ethernet pulled to the equipment area.
Great! I personally prefer the wired vs the wireless option for the LAN connectivity. There is just one consideration to factor in when opting with wired. If some sort of surge is introduced at the IntelliCenter control panel, there is the possibility of it getting into your LAN and possibly taking out switches, routers, servers and god knows what else. I have taken precautions on that front which you can read more about here.

Actually, I now have several of those devices that I refer to in the link, as I now have three CAT5E's running from the panel to the house in a buried 3/4" low voltage conduit.
1. LAN Connectivity.
2. RS-485 Serial Connectivity (Serial to Ether adapters on both ends). This is for the Raspberry Pi4 RS-485 connection to the panel since I like having my rp here in my office.
3. Spare (you never know :p)... As I'm sure you're aware, lot's of different signals can be sent via ether cables with the right adapter. (y)

Take care...
r.

Last edited:
node.js poolController / dashPanel update -

The node.js poolController / dashPanel is continuing to improve over at GitHub.
New features and capabilities are being added.
This includes some outstanding work on aesthetics and design as well.

Thanks to all over there (and here) for making some really cool IntelliCenter and other DIY/Home Brew pool automation advancements.

Since I don't posses anywhere near the skill sets necessary for these kind of endeavors, I for one, am very grateful for the efforts!
Here are just a few examples...

2020-09-01_10-04-56.jpg

2020-09-01_10-06-06.jpg

2020-09-01_10-07-03.jpg

2020-09-01_10-08-03.jpg

2020-09-01_10-09-10.jpg

2020-09-01_10-14-18.jpg

2020-09-01_10-15-25.jpg

2020-09-01_10-16-03.jpg

2020-09-01_10-17-04.jpg

r.

node.js poolController / dashPanel update -

The node.js poolController / dashPanel is continuing to improve over at GitHub.
New features and capabilities are being added.
This includes some outstanding work on aesthetics and design as well.

Thanks to all over there (and here) for making some really cool IntelliCenter and other DIY/Home Brew pool automation advancements.

Since I don't posses anywhere near the skill sets necessary for these kind of endeavors, I for one, am very grateful for the efforts!
Here are just a few examples...

View attachment 160633

View attachment 160635

View attachment 160636

View attachment 160637

View attachment 160638

View attachment 160639

View attachment 160640

View attachment 160641

View attachment 160642

r.
Ron,

That looks really cool! I downloaded the software and read through the installation. Wow! seems pretty complex. I also got my RPi kit last weekend to get started with the gateway. Pool projects are getting more complex than just installing equipment and deciphering the Intellicenter manual!

Chris

Ron,

That looks really cool! I downloaded the software and read through the installation. Wow! seems pretty complex. I also got my RPi kit last weekend to get started with the gateway. Pool projects are getting more complex than just installing equipment and deciphering the IntelliCenter manual!

Chris
Hi Chris...
It seemed very complex and overwhelming for me at first but I had some great help as you can read more about in this thread.
It's coming a bit more out of the "clouds" (no pun intended :p ) for me now.
The same will happen with you I'm sure..

I think the reason that our projects are getting more complex are three-fold...
1. We (us lowly consumer types) are demanding more and more automation, pool equipment and H2O chemistry status reporting and information and control capability.​
2. The swimming pool "big-3" have not learned to listen to their consumer base. If they did, they would take notice of threads like this one and many others here on TFP and do something about it.​
3. With technology advancements, it's possible for pool owners now to no longer have to accept mediocrity when it comes to their pool automation, control and information needs.​

Yea, why don't you ask @Katodude about, how one day you decide to start doing your own pool chemistry. And before you know it, you're knee-deep in Raspberry Pi's, sensor's, relay hats, complex plumbing systems, jail-breaking IntelliValves and receiving daily email reports on filter pressure, pH, FC, MA and chlorine dosing, daily water usage, etc., etc., etc.....

I think you will agree that many of us are suffering from this affliction. :mrgreen:
But here is the beauty. The more automation, the more time to :swim: lol....
r.
BTW, don't let the whole raspberry pi/poolController/dashPanel thing intimidate you. If I could pull it off (with a lot of help from my "darkside" crew friends), then anyone can... ;)

AND, if you come over to the "darkside" there REALLY are COOKIES..... :p

Last edited:
Reactions: setsailsoon
I can certainly attest to suffering from this affliction... :mrgreen:
It has a snow ball effect...
This is just the beginning I'm afraid lol.....
2020-09-01_15-36-38.jpg

Oh man... I see a possible divorce in my future. My wife already thinks I'm crazy because I've basically redone the entire pool pad, while the new hadn't even worn off yet! Not my fault I didn't know what to ask for and the PB didn't see it the same way I did.

I'm gonna have to start looking into this. Now that fall is coming around and I'll have more time just sitting next to the pool, instead of in it, maybe I can get me a Raspberry Pi and start the affliction!

--Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.