IntelliCenter Gateway and Control Apps

For your home ip address, use
ws://192.168.1.20:6680/

Username and password is for the IntelliCenter gateway when you have set it up and is not what you have set up with Pentair.

You cannot access away from your home network without setting up routing.

Ryan
Worked! Still can't change schedules though unless I'm doing it wrong also. Interface is gorgeous! Great job.

Chris

Worked! Still can't change schedules though unless I'm doing it wrong also. Interface is gorgeous! Great job.

Chris
Each expandable schedule item can be swiped left or right. Once you have finished changing it swipe to the left and click the save icon. If you want to delete a schedule item, swipe to the right and click the delete icon.

Ryan

Reactions: MyAZPool
Each expandable schedule item can be swiped left or right. Once you have finished changing it swipe to the left and click the save icon. If you want to delete a schedule item, swipe to the right and click the delete icon.

Ryan
Wow! Fantastic. You are a genius!

Thanks so much!

Chris

Reactions: rmontgomery
Here are a couple things I noticed when I ran through the functions
  • It's more responsive than the Pentair app
  • I've changed the Pool, Chlorinator, Lights, and Spillover schedules with no problems.
  • Light colors work but I'm using Jandy LED lights so the colors don't match up. The don't on the Pentair app either.
  • When I change and save the Pool Heater set point in the schedule it does not change. When I close and open again the previous temp is shown.
  • All the other settings work fine
  • The 3 temps are displayed fine.
Thanks again for doing this and I hope my tests and results are in some way helpful. If there's anything you want me to try just let me know.

Chris

Due to the absence of the official Pentair IntelliCenter Alexa skill I decided to create a very limited alternative using the Gateway application. It only allows you to ask for water temperature, salt level or pH value, but for some that may be sufficient. The instructions for creating your own custom Alexa skill are detailed in the Amazon Alexa wiki page and as previously mentioned you need to have the Gateway application running behind a reverse proxy as Amazon requires a valid SSL certificate. Hope people find it useful, it fits my basic needs until the Pentair skill is back up and running - whenever that is...

Last edited:
I was able to leverage the work that I did for Alexa to also support Google Assistant. It's the same basic sensor readings and you need the latest version of Gateway running behind a reverse proxy. Below are the settings that you will need when creating an action in Actions Console, replace [domain] with a custom subdomain from Duck DNS.

Webhook is https://www.[domain].duckdns.org/assistant
Temp intent is "get the water temperature"
Salt intent is "get the salt level"
Chem intent is "get the the ph value"

Folks,
Quick question on the gateway installation. I got my RPi up and running today and will try to set up the gateway tomorrow. I'd like to install the RPi with the RS 485 dongle inside the Intellicenter Power Center. I've got a good WiFi signal out there and wondering if the WiFi antenna on the RPi will be able to connect from inside the box. Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks.

Chris

Just to clarify the Gateway does not need a RS485 dongle as it uses network sockets. If your IntelliCenter is already connected to your local network via Ethernet or WiFi then you don't need the RPi inside the power center, it just has to be within range of your home router.

Just to clarify the Gateway does not need a RS485 dongle as it uses network sockets. If your IntelliCenter is already connected to your local network via Ethernet or WiFi then you don't need the RPi inside the power center, it just has to be within range of your home router.
Even better! Should be able to fire it up this evening that way!

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chris, the easiest way to get Gateway up and running is to use Docker. Follow the instructions in the Docker wiki to get started. There's probably a lot to take in so any feedback on the instructions would be welcome.
Thanks! I'll give it a whirl!

@guinness or @rmontgomery,

Can one of y'all kind of summarize the differences between the IntelliCenter Gateway and the IntelliCenter Control Repo for me.
Are they basically the same UI but with a different method of connecting to the panel? One utilizing an android app and the other using a computer?
I have tried out the one where I connected via the Blue Stacks emulator (android app) on my Mac.
I'll have two more dev/test bed RPi's available which will be up and running shortly, so when I can get around to it, I would like to try the other one, at some point (I think this is the one that @setsailsoon is currently working with right?)
Sorry about not getting the concepts correct, right out of the gate.
Thanks...
r.

Gateway is essentially a secured proxy to the IntelliCenter API. It also has a basic web interface to view and control equipment that is password protected for remote access. Control the mobile application for Android and potentially iOS, it uses Gateway to communicate with the IntelliCenter securely.

If anyone has HTML and JavaScript knowledge they can develop their own customized web dashboard using the API via Gateway.

Chris, the easiest way to get Gateway up and running is to use Docker. Follow the instructions in the Docker wiki to get started. There's probably a lot to take in so any feedback on the instructions would be welcome.
It appears the link https://danielbkr.net/installing-docker-rpi/ is not working. The little circle in the tab just twirls endlessly. I've found some other instructions on how to install but doesn't seem to get it done right. Will search for some other way and report back.

Thanks much for your help... I'm learning a LOT. The more I learned about what it takes to set up .Net the more I realized I need to use Docker like you said in the first place... sometimes I have to learn the hard way.

Chris

Anybody want to create a Homebridge plugin? My wife works at Apple, so we are exclusively Apple. I’d like some Siri control of IntelliCenter.

@guinness

OK I think I'm close. After I follow these instructions:
Steps
1. Install Docker
curl -sSL https://get.docker.com | sh
2. Add permission to Pi User to run Docker Commands
sudo usermod -aG docker pi
Reboot here or run the next commands with a sudo
3. Test Docker installation
docker run hello-world

I get this when I test:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ docker run hello-world
bash: docker: command not found
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo docker run hello-world
sudo: docker: command not found

Got to be something simple but I'm stuck! Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris

PS I did apt-get update and apt-get upgrade before this

oh yeah!
Finally got docker installed confirmed with this in the "reply" from this command "sudo docker run --rm hello-world"

Hello from Docker!
This message shows that your installation appears to be working correctly.

There was a bunch of other stuff but these two lines appear to prove the installation was successful.

...onward and upward! Now I try to run the docker gateway image.

Chris
PS This and most of my posts are using the RPi with the Chrome browser that comes with it.

Gateway is essentially a secured proxy to the IntelliCenter API. It also has a basic web interface to view and control equipment that is password protected for remote access. Control the mobile application for Android and potentially iOS, it uses Gateway to communicate with the IntelliCenter securely.

If anyone has HTML and JavaScript knowledge they can develop their own customized web dashboard using the API via Gateway.
Okay,
Gotcha (I think)...
Is the gateway here a "build-on" or improvement of the McQwerty IntelliCenter UI/API that I had originally used and that you asked me to send to you in June, or is this something completely different?
So the pool controller that rmontgomery worked on here and that I opened through the blue stacks emulator, is a different web interface that uses this same gateway?
Thanks...
r.

Step 1
I know there must be other potential RPi newbies trying to set up for the first time and it's pretty difficult to find out how to get it up and running for pool stuff without taking an entire RPi school or taking a LOT of time from one of our gracious tech experts that really have other things to do. So I thought I would add this post to show newbies exactly what I had to to do get up and running each step of the way thus the title here is Step 1 others will follow and I'll consolidate them after I get this running. First buy the kit I did on (@guiness recommendation and it worked great!) There are literally hundreds of other places to buy and kits to get of course. Then Google "assemble RPi 3b" and watch one of the videos. Easy Peasy. Next install docker. Why do this? It's almost the only way a newbie can get software installed on an RPi. It's not as simple as windows or dos on an RPi. You have to enter all kinds of commands and install a myriad of other software to make a prgram work. Docker fixes all this by allowing developers to produce an image that is used by docker to take care of this for you. This newbie strongly recommends you do it this way after he tried to ignore expert advice from @guinness to use docker... wasted hours of my time as a result!

There are other stumbling blocks even when you decide to take the expert advice. Not sure exactly why but you can't just google "install docker on my RPi 3b" and follow the instructions. I think this has to do with the version of the chip and OS. I found one here that works after trying 4 other sets of commands in similar articles... more frustrating hours wasted!

Learning this RPi stuff takes perseverance, determination, and some help from experts. But there's hope for almost everybody if I can do it! My last programming language was Fortran IV in the 70's!

Only other thing that really helps is to do everything to set this up on the RPi itself. You can open a terminal window and copy/paste right in from the websites that tell how to do this. Much easier even if you're not "typing challenged" like me.

I'll post Step 2 after I get the gateway image running.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.