South Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Every day or more often, I keep getting these errors (I get the auto email from the IC):

Pentair IntelliCenter Alert:

Alert for Pool is ACTIVE

Error:
IntelliChlor 1: Communication Lost

Note: This usually indicates that the 4-wire communication cable between IntelliChlor and IntelliChem has been disrupted in some manner. Please check this wiring.

Time & Date of Alert: 04/28/2021 10:57:50 AM Eastern Standard Time

followed soon after by another email:

Alert for Pool has CLEARED

Error:

Note: This usually indicates that the 4-wire communication cable between IntelliChlor and IntelliChem has been disrupted in some manner. Please check this wiring.

Time & Date of Alert: 04/28/2021 10:59:58 AM Eastern Standard Time

Any ideas? Do I need to check the physical connection of the IC40 in the panel? Paging @MyAZPool :unsure:

C,

Did your IntelliCenter come with an internal SWCG power supply or do you have an external power supply?

Is the AC power to the SWCG's transformer wired through the Pump/Filter relay as required??

Thanks,

Jim R.

It’s the “all-in-one” version (internal/integrated power), Jim.

I’m pretty sure it is wired correctly. When the pump stops, it cuts power to the SWCG.

You will get this alert each time the filter relay is turned off. This is because the cell is powered down completely through that relay. This is the recommended way to wire it but the status message is annoying. The other part is that it may take a bit of time to clear depending on whether IntelliChlor has decided to test the salinity after it starts. During this period, IntelliChlor will not respond to status requests.

My recommendation is to turn off that alert in the configuration. It means nothing.

It’s interesting because my pump runs 21/ hours a day @1600rpm (minimum flow +100 to have swcg flow) and then for one hour, every 8 hours @2800 rpm to skim and stir the pool.

I’m not aware of any instance where the pump is off.

Either way, I have turned off that specific notification. Just trying to understand what is generating it in my setup.

34DCDC69-5ECA-49DB-9512-FE0981E2B231.png

C,

Whenever the cell is powered on it will test salt and then every 12 hours.. The cell will also shut off anytime you are not in the pool or spa mode..

So if you have a schedule that does not include the Pool or Spa circuit being on, it will shut the cell off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

That must be it then, the self check. Our pool circuit runs 24/7. I think it has to be that way in order to keep the pump running.

C,

Whenever the cell is powered on it will test salt and then every 12 hours.. The cell will also shut off anytime you are not in the pool or spa mode..

So if you have a schedule that does not include the Pool or Spa circuit being on, it will shut the cell off.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim I was just searching through forum posts regarding this issue and you seem to have hit the nail on the head. I see this error also and when I looked at the times, it is exactly every 12hrs. So when the cell does a salinity check it looses connection?

C,

I don't know that for a fact, but it seems logical.. I know, from just watching the cell, that all the lights go out and then they come back on.. Just like if you turned the power off and then back on.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Every day or more often, I keep getting these errors (I get the auto email from the IC):

Alert for Pool is ACTIVE

Error:

Time & Date of Alert: 04/28/2021 10:57:50 AM Eastern Standard Time

followed soon after by another email:

Alert for Pool has CLEARED

Error:

Time & Date of Alert: 04/28/2021 10:59:58 AM Eastern Standard Time

Any ideas? Do I need to check the physical connection of the IC40 in the panel? Paging @MyAZPool :unsure:
Hi there - wondering how this has evolved for you. I also get these same error messages. Also every 12 hours, clearing within a minute or two - for the reasons explained below (cell self-testing salinity). However, every once in a while, and for whatever reason always around 12AM, the comms error takes 6-7 hrs to clear.... and during that time the cell is not producing chlorine, which is a big deal. I have Pentair techs checking the unit this week, but over the phone they seemed clueless as to what this might be, and I was wondering if you - or anyone else here - might have experienced the same and found the cause.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi there - wondering how this has evolved for you. I also get these same error messages. Also every 12 hours, clearing within a minute or two - for the reasons explained below (cell self-testing salinity). However, every once in a while, and for whatever reason always around 12AM, the comms error takes 6-7 hrs to clear.... and during that time the cell is not producing chlorine, which is a big deal. I have Pentair techs checking the unit this week, but over the phone they seemed clueless as to what this might be, and I was wondering if you - or anyone else here - might have experienced the same and found the cause.
I haven’t had an error messages. In fact, I haven’t had ANY messages emailed to me. Too be fair, I don’t really use the native intellicenter app.

I may not even have my email in there anymore :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.