Maybe I missed something and maybe this is a stupid question -- are you trying to keep your pool warmer, or cooler? I'm thinking warmer.

Just a thin bubble wrap solar cover on top is probably going to make more difference than anything else. In my experience it cuts overnight heat loss in half, and overnight is where you are losing any temperature gains you made from the sun during the day, and during the day it prevents evaporation which causes cooling.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Maybe I missed something and maybe this is a stupid question -- are you trying to keep your pool warmer, or cooler? I'm thinking warmer.

Just a thin bubble wrap solar cover on top is probably going to make more difference than anything else. In my experience it cuts overnight heat loss in half, and overnight is where you are losing any temperature gains you made from the sun during the day, and during the day it prevents evaporation which causes cooling.
Any question is a good question! Trying to keep warmer. Yes I’m definitely doing a blanket on top and have that ordered. It’s semi shaded so I’m going for a closed cell foam thermal blanket with the aim to trap as much heat from the heat pump IN and minimise overnight heat loss.

My two cents

I use a solar cover. It makes a huge difference. It easily extends my swim season by 3 weeks or so. My pool can drop 8 degrees F overnight if I get a cold night and do not cover it.

I have wall foam on my pool as well (between the liner and the wall). In my totally unscientific analysis, it does diddly-squat. I mean I never measured air temp, water temp, and temperature transmission through the pool wall before and after using it. But if it does more than keep it a half degree warmer all season I would be surprised. The pressure of the water also compresses the foam, so whatever R value was there is now next to nothing.

I've seen some say this and yet for two seasons a solar cover did very little for us.

I've seen some say this and yet for two seasons a solar cover did very little for us.
And the weather needs to cooperate as well. If it's cooler than usual, the fact that the pool is 67 when it should have been 59, is a moot point.

I had mine for 5 seasons and 2 were great, 2 didn't matter and the other one was so-so.

Diligence is key.

One day of "I don't feel like dragging that thing back onto the pool" will cause the pool to drop significantly

I'm fairly certain we never skipped putting it on.
There were times we didn't feel like swimming because you couldn't just use the pool though.

For me, either trim trees back or get a heater. I'd never bother with a cover again.

I hate to sidetrack a bit here but two things I think help - the foam for the walls and a good underlayment. We currently have two Gorilla Pad liners under the moved pool. Also on the point about solar cover insulation for heat loss and their longevity - 11 years and it does save heat. The last 5 sitting on the reel in the old farmyard until just now moved this last week. Except for some algae that came off easily with a bleach spray and one corner that a mouse chewed it's almost in new condition. I know I brought this up before about the solar cover condition and it's age and someone asked me what brand it was. The tag is still on it and it says it's a Polyair and the company is out of Toronto. That thing probably weighs about 50 plus pounds or at least it feels like it. It's clear and super heavy duty and there are zero popped or missing bubbles on it. I remember it cost me quite a bit but at that time I was disgusted with the blue ones that kept falling apart after a season or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.