Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Astral Viron eQuilibrium EQ25
Hi all,
I have read a few threads from a while back about insulating an above ground pool. I work in the energy efficiency industry and this seems an absolute no brainer. Even it’s often said most is lost through the surface, obviously that changes once you have a blanket. So yes blanket first, but definitely still worth insulating the sides.
I am planning on using bubble wrap which seams to be the cheapest option, and enveloping in heavy duty black plastic to keep water out and protect from UV.
I am pretty confident it will make a massive difference. Any thoughts or issues I might have missed?

Attachments

• FB22F8B4-0986-49D4-A8F5-6954BA7A6719.jpeg
    FB22F8B4-0986-49D4-A8F5-6954BA7A6719.jpeg
    640.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 2FE5C8E5-7C8D-4429-B502-C86AE01CBE49.jpeg
    2FE5C8E5-7C8D-4429-B502-C86AE01CBE49.jpeg
    451.5 KB · Views: 25
Hi all,
I have read a few threads from a while back about insulating an above ground pool. I work in the energy efficiency industry and this seems an absolute no brainer. Even it’s often said most is lost through the surface, obviously that changes once you have a blanket. So yes blanket first, but definitely still worth insulating the sides.
I am planning on using bubble wrap which seams to be the cheapest option, and enveloping in heavy duty black plastic to keep water out and protect from UV.
I am pretty confident it will make a massive difference. Any thoughts or issues I might have missed?

You work in the energy efficiency industry, but are choosing bubble wrap?

I'm really confused right now.

Are u planning on putting this between the liner & walls or on the outside of the walls?
They sell foam for the interior of the pool walls. Wrapping anything around the outside is asking for rust. Above Ground Pools sweat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
I would think the ground pulls a lot of heat out of the pool. Having the pool on top of insulating foam board (like for a house) would be helpful for colder climate area.

Same could apply for the outside. Try to mimic the more expensive above ground pools that have solid walls. Only yours would not be load bearing. Just 4'x8' foam insulation board cut to fit.
If bubble wrap, the bubbles would have to filled with some sort of special gas like house windows are. but I think those are some sort of vacuum process.

But like was already said, you're just working your way to an in ground pool of sorts.

Reactions: Pins
I would think the ground pulls a lot of heat out of the pool. Having the pool on top of insulating foam board (like for a house) would be helpful for colder climate area.

Same could apply for the outside. Try to mimic the more expensive above ground pools that have solid walls. Only yours would not be load bearing. Just 4'x8' foam insulation board cut to fit.
If bubble wrap, the bubbles would have to filled with some sort of special gas like house windows are. but I think those are some sort of vacuum process.

But like was already said, you're just working your way to an in ground pool of sorts.

No,
Bubble wrap doesn't need to be filled with a special gas.
But it's R value stinks regardless because it's too small of an air gap, special gas or not. All of the bubble wrap insulation I've seen sold is pretty much a gimmick.

1" or 2" thick styrofoam would do pretty well.

So the pool warmer blanks are just bubble wrap with a thicker mil plastic and air in between? I ask because I am wanting to buy a blanket to extend my swim season and I cannot get past the reviews of all of the plastic breaking down from the chlorine and general use. I am afraid they are like pool coves and will only last a season or two no matter how super awesome they advertise to be. Can you recommend a brand/thickness?

So the pool warmer blanks are just bubble wrap with a thicker mil plastic and air in between? I ask because I am wanting to buy a blanket to extend my swim season and I cannot get past the reviews of all of the plastic breaking down from the chlorine and general use. I am afraid they are like pool coves and will only last a season or two no matter how super awesome they advertise to be. Can you recommend a brand/thickness?
It is true, they break down then get the little bubbles in your pool, a season or two of use is all u should expect from one regardless of the price.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pretty much.
And 99% of what they do is slow evaporation so the bubblewrap it self doesn't do anything but keep it floating on top.

We used an expensive solar cover for two seasons I think it was, and then gave up. We decided the tiny gain in temperature it gave wasn't worth the trouble.
We then paid to have a tree trimmed back and that made a huge improvement.

Are u planning on putting this between the liner & walls or on the outside of the walls?
They sell foam for the interior of the pool walls. Wrapping anything around the outside is asking for rust. Above Ground Pools sweat.
Rust is definitely something I am thinking about. Im just thinking of wrapping around the outside. I’m not sure how a pool ‘breathes’ though as the liner and metal side appear non permeable to me. The main issue is that water splashed over the edge would be trapped and stay moist between the black plastic and the wall. That I agree is a problem and the main concern I wanted to thrash out on this forum. And not just for me but plenty of others that have the same question. I am certainly not 100% convinced it’s a great idea overall…but I just hate seeing anything uninsulated.

I'm thinking one of the best ways to insulate a pool would be to build a form, fill it with concrete and surround it by dirt.

:LOL:

Unfortunately I can't afford it......but i think it's a great way.
A bit over the top for what I’m aiming to do. Also I imagine the pressure would push in the side walls

Do you mean the thermal foam blankets to keep the heat in, or the bubbles to collect solar heat?

A bit over the top for what I’m aiming to do. Also I imagine the pressure would push in the side walls

Well, no I was imagining using foam on the outside of a steel wall pool.
You could seal the styrofoam to the steel using spray foam or silicone RTV to keep moisture out.

Its definitely way over the top.

Steel walled above ground pools don’t necessarily “breathe” but they do sweat when the water on the inside is cold & weather is hot or visa versa. Any exterior covering would trap that moisture.

Reactions: Newdude
No,
Bubble wrap doesn't need to be filled with a special gas.
But it's R value stinks regardless because it's too small of an air gap, special gas or not. All of the bubble wrap insulation I've seen sold is pretty much a gimmick.

1" or 2" thick styrofoam would do pretty well.
The big problem with styrofoam is it takes on water I’m pretty sure eventually. It needs to be closed cell foam so it stays dry and maintains the insulation. But as discussed here, seems the big issue is really the water / moisture trapped on the outside of the wall under whatever is being used.

Steel walled above ground pools don’t necessarily “breathe” but they do sweat when the water on the inside is cold & weather is hot or visa versa. Any exterior covering would trap that moisture.
That’s condensation, which is massive heat loss. With insulation you will stop this. The only risk I see is from the actual pool water getting splashed out.

Reactions: cj133
My two cents

I use a solar cover. It makes a huge difference. It easily extends my swim season by 3 weeks or so. My pool can drop 8 degrees F overnight if I get a cold night and do not cover it.

I have wall foam on my pool as well (between the liner and the wall). In my totally unscientific analysis, it does diddly-squat. I mean I never measured air temp, water temp, and temperature transmission through the pool wall before and after using it. But if it does more than keep it a half degree warmer all season I would be surprised. The pressure of the water also compresses the foam, so whatever R value was there is now next to nothing.

Reactions: Pins and Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.