Installing SWG with Pentair VS Intelliflo

guzmanense

May 6, 2019
Rialto, CA
I currently have an Pentair VS Intelliflo pump and I want to enjoy my pool more than worrying about the chemicals in this hot SoCal Inland Empire weather. So I have decided to install a SWG but have a few questions first because of the VS pump I have. Hopefully, some of our members can chime in.
I have read that when the pump is turn on with a timer, you run the pump and SWG at the same time, obvious. But VS pumps are set to run longer hours at different speeds cycles, therefore if the SWG was running all that time, I would run the risk of over-chlorinating the pool. Some people have talked about having the SWG on a different timer that runs withing the hours the VS pump is running, set to only the necessary time to proper level chlorination. It sounds like a legit concern and a good way to control this equipment, however, I'm sure others here have run into this issue and can either confirm or have other information that will help. Thanks in advance.

You adjust the SWG % output for the overall pump runtime to give you the necessary chlorine output. The Pentair Intellichlor flow switch will keep it generating as long as your pump is running at least around 1500 rpm.

You adjust the SWG % output for the overall pump runtime to give you the necessary chlorine output. The Pentair Intellichlor flow switch will keep it generating as long as your pump is running at least around 1500 rpm.
So basically, you are telling me that no dedicated timer is needed if I figure out the correct output to use on the SWG? It sounds like it could take a few days of having to monitor daily after initial install but very doable and less parts to worry about. Thanks.
added:: do you have any recommendations on brand and model of SWG to buy? should I keep it all Pentair?

So basically, you are telling me that no dedicated timer is needed if I figure out the correct output to use on the SWG? It sounds like it could take a few days of having to monitor daily after initial install but very doable and less parts to worry about. Thanks.

You just dial the % up or down as needed to adjust the chlorine output. You still need a timer on the SWG to ensure the SWG is not powered when the pump is off. The SWG timer does not care about the different speeds the pump is running during that time as long as the speeds are adequate for the flow switch,

added:: do you have any recommendations on brand and model of SWG to buy? should I keep it all Pentair?

Get the Intellichlor IC60 for your 20,000 gallon pool. It is 3X oversize and will give you plenty of chlorine generating capacity.

What is the overall time your pump runs?

Last edited:
Reactions: guzmanense
You can NEVER have power going to the SWCG if the pump is not running.. This is the main reason you need a timer or some type of home built current sensor.

Since the pump gets constant AC power, you need something else to keep the power to the SWCG off when the pump is not running.

You can use this same timer to help adjust the amount of chlorine your cell makes, but the main purpose is to be the Primary safety device when the pump is off.. The Flow Switch is the Secondary safety device and should never be used as the only safety device.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The other option is look into an Intelliconnect automation system. It's not much more expensive than a good timer (I think mine was 300-350) and safeguards against the SWCG running without the pump. For your Intelliflow pump, it will let you control speed, on/off times and the SWCG output % from a phone app.

I have an intermatic timer to control my SWG.

As for which brand... if you ever intend to use a control center to turn stuff on and off, or control stuff remotely, then the SWG, Pump and control panel all need to be the same brand.

If you dont intend to have a control panel, then get whichever brand suits you.
And a 40K cell will work just fine for your 20K pool.

I have an intermatic timer to control my SWG.

As for which brand... if you ever intend to use a control center to turn stuff on and off, or control stuff remotely, then the SWG, Pump and control panel all need to be the same brand.

If you dont intend to have a control panel, then get whichever brand suits you.
And a 40K cell will work just fine for your 20K pool.
I don't intend to use a control center. I am leaning towards the IC40. There is one brand that caught my eye because of the "no acid" need for cleaning it. Powerclean Salt Systems - CMP ...however I've never heard of this brand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
**votes for 24/7 low rpm**.
Guz, Like a lot of things, people are either for or against this. Those of us that choose to run all the time only have to adjust the SWG %. The others need to adjust %, rpms and hours run. Sometimes with 2 speeds and % programmed per day. To me it seems like more to have to adjust as long as you have a VS. My season is basically split into thirds. Lower early and late, and bumped up more in the middle hot part of the season. Week to week inbetween those changes there isn’t any difference. And it’s cheaper for my pump to run 24/7 at 1500 rpms than it is to run 2 hours on high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.