Gold Supporter
Apr 16, 2016
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all, I have a Hayward 1 1/2 HP water feature pump Model # SP3210X15 that moves too much water. It serves my rock water falls and 2 bubblers on the sun deck. The water flow is too much and too noisy. It’s hard to have a conversation when it’s running. Can I install a smaller impeller on this pump to slow down the flow? If so, does anyone have the info on part numbers? Also, the motor has an open winding so does anyone have info on installing a smaller motor to match the smaller impeller to save costs? A new pump is too expensive and I’d rather just replace the motor and impeller.

Thanks James. The motor shorted out and blew the breaker. I ohmed Out the motor and it has an open winding so the motor needs to be replaced. I figured while I was in there replacing the motor, I would put in a smaller impeller since the impeller has to be removed from the shaft while replacing the motor.

Reactions: Jimrahbe and JamesW
John,

Would it not be better just add a Jandy valve to the output of the pump, so that you can adjust the flow to exactly what you want???

Thanks,

Jim R.
I already have a bad motor and the impeller needs to be pulled to replace the motor. Also, a Jandy valve would be quite noisy when it’s throttled down and I want to save energy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just curious, how come the parts list shows the original SPX3210C impeller to be 1 HP when it’s a 1.5 HP pump?
Uprated pump. It was a numbers game that is no longer used. What is the service factor of your motor? Likely 1.1, giving a total horsepower rating of 1.65.
A full-rated 1hp TriStar would have a 1hp motor with a 1.65 service factor on the label equaling 1.65 total horsepower.
The impeller will load the motor to its total horsepower.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.