Installing new heater but unsure of gas pipe size

(disclosure: National Grid employee, but the views presented here are my own)

You want to call the sales department at National Grid. They would be more than happy to send a meter tech over to make it so they can sell you more gas.

Your plumbers and pool guys don't know what they're talking about. Ask them if they will redo the whole setup if the heater doesn't work because it's starved for gas. It's in the manual, plus you can easily Google pipe sizing needed for different materials. This is all predicated on a minimal pressure drop at full flow. Try to suck 400kBTU/hr 100' through 3/4" piping and you will not be happy with the result.

If the gas line does not meet manufacturer's specifications, the warranty can be automatically voided.

Tell the installers to follow the manual.

I'm hoping. HOPING this since the guy I talked to is just the sales guy and not in the field, he doesn't know what he's talking about. But the fact that 2 highly rated hvac guys (licensed) told me to tee off existing lines is super sketchy. There are tons of pool heaters in my area and I don't think they're magically burning up so idk what to think

Customer Service. 1-800-642-4272. Monday - Friday, 7:00am - 7:00pm

For the fastest service, please call from the primary phone number on file in your account settings.

Also, have your account number on hand before calling, especially if you have more than one service address.

Keep in mind that while our phone system will ask you to answer questions verbally, you may also enter in account numbers, credit card numbers, and other digits using your phone key pad.

Hearing/speech impaired customers may call 711 and provide the support number above.

If you install a line smaller than what is called for in the installation manual and you have a problem with the heater that you file a warranty claim for, the service technician will refuse to work on the heater and they will report it as an improper installation.

The warranty will be automatically voided if the gas pressure is identified as the probable or possible cause of the problem.

There is virtually no chance that the installer will do anything to help if you if you have a problem with the heater.

They will refer you to the manufacturer, who will say that the heater was improperly installed.

Reactions: hyperchord24
Your current meter and supply was sized to serve the appliances you currently have. You are going to be adding a new appliance that requires more BTU/hr than everything else you have combined. Something has to change or the heater is not going to work properly. You really need to talk to the gas company and tell them the BTU rating for your existing appliances and the BTU rating for the new heater (350k) you want to install. They should know what meter you have, but you can tell them that too. Depending on what they recommend (probably either a larger meter or conversion to a high pressure system), that will determine what you need to do to run adequate supply to the heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.