Installing Heater - What parts do I need for plumbing?

Apr 13, 2017
Little Elm Texas
Going to add a heat pump.
Trying to figure out all the parts I will need for plumbing.
My pad is below. I have already moved the shed.
Was thinking of swapping the filter to the other side and putting the HP where the filter currently is.

I was told somewhere (cant find it) that I need a check valve.
What about bypass if I need to run the pool, but work on the heater?
Any other fittings or valves that I need?
What are the fittings on the pump and filter that connects to the PVC called? I am assuming I need three new ones? (marked in green)

Going to try and save my SWG cell, so I will cut the pipe on the red line there, it seems there is about 2 or 3 inches of pipe I can use.

1684419646937.png

Attachments

• 1684419493122.png
    1684419493122.png
    832.3 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: lardo5150
Great article, thank you!

So with the VersaTemp, I will just use a three way valve.
From reading this, it should be automated (as manual can cause issues if there is no water flowing through it).
So i will need the Jandy actuator and a 3 way diverter valve, correct?

From reading this, it should be automated (as manual can cause issues if there is no water flowing through it).
So i will need the Jandy actuator and a 3 way diverter valve, correct?
Can't really help you with automation. Mine is manual and pinned for heater or bypass...no way to shut it "Off." Even with manual, I have no issues, but I fire up the heater in the spring and leave it on 83 degrees all year. I don't bypass, except to startup and shutdown pool. Others want to heat and certain times and bypass at certain times. Automation helps do this...so either can work, depends on your requirements and usage.

@ajw22 @Jimrahbe and @JamesW can comment on automation...

BTW, you are on the right track in your thinking and layout.
Poolstored, with the swapping of the filter and HP, I had one pool guy tell me they would swap, the other said he would not swap due to air flow.
Wanted to see what you thought.
Here are pictures of my pad and equipment on the side of the house. There is about 5ft between the fence and house.
The board on the ground represents the footprint for the HP.

Versatemp is SUPPOSED to be more quiet. my concern is if we put it on the front of the pad, it will create noise around the pool.
20230518_105849.jpg

20230518_105838.jpg

20230518_105814.jpg

20230518_105640.jpg

You need almost 8' of width for service clearances.

Do you even have the 6' of minimum clearances?

1684431262949.png
1684431495038.png

Last edited:
Reactions: PoolStored
You lack sufficient service clearances. Eventually that will cause you problems.

Which side will be the front?

Which side will face the pump?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You lack sufficient service clearances. Eventually that will cause you problems.

Which side will be the front?

Which side will face the pump?
Really? It says for all the sides except for front, we need 12 inches. I have that though?
I believe on the versatemp, the control panel is in front, and the connections for pipe are in rear.

1684434591212.png

1684434632630.png

I would expect if we installed it in the front on the empty pad, the control panel (front) would face out to that open yard.
If we put it where the filter is, the control panel would face that shed, which has like 4 feet of clearance bewteen the HP and shed.
12 inches everywhere else that way.

Focus on Recommended Clearances for Serviceability.

Without that the heater may need to be disconnected and moved to be able to replace parts.

1684431262949-png.493085

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.