Insights to Speed Up SLAM ?

phappy

Aug 25, 2013
Hi brethren and thanks for your help & ideas.

I have used the TFP technique for two full seasons (love it). I've documented the amount of days each season to complete SLAM, the amount of liquid chlorine needed, etc. Last season, it took 7 days to complete SLAM. 7 days of the sand filter running 24 hours a day....which I don't love and I'd rather not have to run it for that long continuously. But if it is the only way, I will certainly continue to do it.

Do you have any ideas as to how the SLAM process could be sped up? I'd love to learn from you.

Further, a specific question:

(Yes, I will know what my CYA level is prior to doing anything!)
1.) If I start adding liquid chlorine now, a day or two before I remove the cover and start-up the filter....will that help me get a head-start? For example.
2.) If you do think it will help, should I increase CL to the SLAM level?

Thanks again.

Darnit...and double darnit, JoeSelf and borjis!

Thank you both for your replies. The water won't yet be circulating for a day or so.

So it doesn't seem that adding CL ahead of starting the pump will shorten the SLAM...ah well.

Just proceed with SLAM Process as outlined there’s really no shortcuts.
Another thought for you to prevent opening to a pool that needs to be slammed is to close late in the season after the water is consistently 60-65 degrees & open earlier before the water temp gets higher than 60-65 degrees.

Just proceed with SLAM Process as outlined there’s really no shortcuts.
Another thought for you to prevent opening to a pool that needs to be slammed is to close late in the season after the water is consistently 60-65 degrees & open earlier before the water temp gets higher than 60-65 degrees.

Interesting, Mdragger88. I did not know this! I will certainly consider this in the future. Thank you.

Speed up or perhaps evewn eliminate the SLAM by following mdragger's advice. Close late and open early! Also, bring FC to SLAM value just as you close.

Thank you, duraleigh. I will certainly consider this. The pool does not get much use during the season. So I've been opening later and keeping it open for about 2 months (July 4th to Labor Day).

I'll have to look at the numbers I've kept. It just might be just as cost efficient to open the pool earlier. That would mostly probably reduce the amount of liquid CL for the season. And the electricity cost might not be too much either.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I omit the polyquat & just do slam level @ close along with clearing water & debris off the cover throughout the winter. I also peek under the cover occasionally to be sure things r ok.
This was my opening day this year after removing the cover :
C68C45C1-7926-42D3-8B17-21A5A6000DED.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.