Inground Spa gets cloudy when heater is on + white floating things?

jtb777

Bronze Supporter
Aug 19, 2022
California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi,

Whenever I turn on the heater for my inground spa, I notice the water gets cloudy. The water clears as soon as the heat stops running. Also, I notice white floating things in the water too (pic attached).

Could this be something in the pipes? If so, is there something I do to treat it?

I've been testing my water chemistry weekly and everything's been at the right level. I do have trees and bushes around the pool, so I wasn't sure if the floating stuff is coming from that. My pool has some of this floating stuff, but not to the extent the spa does when the heater is on.

Thanks so much for any advice!

spa.jpeg

Can you capture the white particles?

I suspect the cloudy water is air / CO2 in the water.

Can you capture the white particles?

I suspect the cloudy water is air / CO2 in the water.
It's hard to catch, but I was able to scoop one of the particles in my hand. It's slightly squishy.

Would I do anything to treat potential air / CO2? I don't turn the spa on every week, so I don't know if that's contributing to something.

Thank you!

Soft material sounds like something organic/biofilm. As I assume this is an attached spa, the use of Ahhsome bio cleaner is still possible, but might be best done with the spa isolated for a couple days with the ability to drain the water once the cleaner has done its job.

I suspect the air/CO2 is from heating the water. It changes the ability for the water to hold the gases in solution and they liberate.

Soft material sounds like something organic/biofilm. As I assume this is an attached spa, the use of Ahhsome bio cleaner is still possible, but might be best done with the spa isolated for a couple days with the ability to drain the water once the cleaner has done its job.

I suspect the air/CO2 is from heating the water. It changes the ability for the water to hold the gases in solution and they liberate.
Yes, this is an attached spa. Thank you so much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.