Inground pool with liner not opened for 12 years 😳

taykil89

May 22, 2024
Seabrook NH
Hi 👋 we purchased a home in April and it has a inground pool with a liner. The owners children say it hasn't been opened in 12 years. My plan is to take the cover of and try to shock and clean it back to life without emptying and refilling or calling a pool company. The water is full up to the cover. Any advice?
Old pictures and current added. I can take more later. Thanks everyone!Screenshot_20240306_100632_Zillow.jpgScreenshot_20240306_100635_Zillow.jpgScreenshot_20240306_100415_Zillow.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the house!
I am dying to see what's under that cover.

Hard to say what actually needs to be done because there are a lot of unknowns until you get that cover off. It's possible the liner is ripped and may need replaced. If the liner is in good shape, does the equipment work? Does the pump fire up? If the pool is structurally sound and the equipment works, you can bring it back to life. You will need a truck load of liquid chlorine and a good test kit.

Let us know what it looks like. We love a good pool resurrection story.

+1, uncover and check equipment is able to run. Make sure at first to set your filter MPV to recirculate if you can. If its a cartridge filter remove the cartridges so you can troubleshoot you system without clogging your filter. You will need to remove most of large debris with net.

Reactions: taykil89
Pop Corn GIF by WWE

Thank you everyone! I ordered a test kit and 8 gallons of liquid chlorine. 🤣 (I'm sure that's not enough) Going to take the cover off this weekend and see if the equipment is alive. I will be back with pictures and questions! For 1. I know it is very GREEN and 2, I have a tree frog infestation!!! 🐸 by the way, how do I figure out how many gallons the pool is?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We’ve seen worse!! There’s far worse things than a frog orgy that could have been in the skimmer.

Just starting working on the solids, test out the equipment and then start slamming.

SLAM Process

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn’t slam until you have a plan for the liner. Not sure if you can fix it or what the condition of it might be. If the plan is to drain it then no need to slam at this time.
Let’s see what other people who have liners suggest because I am not sure how this issue with the liner should be resolved.

Reactions: borjis and taykil89
The most concerning thing is that liner corner. The liner almost looks dry rotted? If it just pulled out of the track and they can get it back in, then you could be OK assuming the equipment works and there's no other leaks or tears.

Given that it's not been opened or anything else done for over a decade, I'm wondering if water was getting behind the liner in that corner. What's happening here in this dark space? is there a gap between the coping and the shell? Or is it just dark from dirt?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-28 080134.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-28 080134.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: taykil89
I doubt you have roots growing through the liner if the liner is holding all that water. 12 years is a long time period just for the liner itself. It'll be brittle and can break so think 10 times before you do anything with that corner.
Spoke with pool guy. They're booked until August. He said to put duct tape on the corners until them and see if I can get the pool running for now. Problem is, the pump won't start. Seems like there's no power to the outlet 🧐

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support