Inground 1994 Pool Renovation

That’s looking great!

Ok, gonna show my ignorance here… what’s the under slab insulation for? I’ve seen that done when installing radiant floor heating, but never outdoors.

—Jeff
It is an optional cold climate thing. Especially if you remove snow in some area of the concrete but not everywhere. Snow as strange at it seems provide insulation so the ground do not freeze at the same depth level with or without snow. This mean that your concrete will play differently which you do not want to avoid cracks. Also this insulation keep the water away from the concrete. A slab without insulation will move up in some area which could also be a problem for shed door for example.

For reference basement / wall insulation is mandatory in Canada / Quebec construction code since 2012. But still I doubt there is a lot of people doing what I do to 1100 square ft of patio...

Makes sense. I figured it had something to do with cold climate. Understand about the snow insulation. We had severe freezing temps last February and my buddy had one area of his lawn where the grass died, it was where he shoveled the snow off the lawn for the dog to potty.

--Jeff

No pictures today and no major progress ...
  • storm drains next to the house with with rigid piping
  • completed installing coping molds
  • Removed again some dirt in some area to have the concrete at the right level
  • Agreed with the concrete guy about the concrete cuts design which will be about 6' X 4' rectangles
  • Concrete finish will be brushed

Pouring was supposed to be tomorrow but there will be some rain so it was moved to Wednesday. Tomorrow they will complete the framing and insulation.

Last edited:
Update of the day.
  • Framing is completed
  • Insulation is completed
  • Rebar installation started 70% completed
Concrete trucks scheduled at 11 am tomorrow and forecast is sunny and between 50F-60F.
Hot tub is scheduled on the 29.
In a week or so we will build the low wall where the big spruce are around 60' and will be around 1' tall (3 concrete blocks high).
Will put river rocks around the spa, shed, fence etc.
Some landscaping but will complete the remaining next spring

20__small.jpg21_small.jpg22_small.jpg23__small.jpg24_small.jpg25_small.jpg26_small.jpg

Last edited:
Today was the concrete day.
  • Final adjustment to frame for proper water flow
  • Completed rebar installation
  • Pool was grounded to the rebar and to the ground wire in the shed
  • It required 3 concrete truck and a pump truck that went over my house to pour the concrete directly where required.

Concrete job in general is great but the broom finish is not perfect. There was no place for them to work because of trees, house etc so they could not manage to do the broom finish in the same direction and in one pass everywhere.

Still Happy with the outcomes. Eager to get the saw cuts in rectangle patterns to finish the look.
20211020_162458000_iOS_small.jpg
  • 32.jpg33.jpg34.jpg35.jpg

Looks great so far! Liner going in soon?

This make me realize I should be taking more pictures of my reno.
Liner probably next week a day that is sunny and warm enough. The full project was supposed to be in August and my Pool guy said they received the liner just this week... crazy supply chain issues these days...

Reactions: Newdude
Update of the day
  • Framework removed
  • Bull nose sanded
  • Concrete saw cut in "decorative" patterns
Next sunny day they will seal the concrete with penetrating sealer (do not change the look the the concrete). Also like said in previous post the liner will come in when it is warm enough.

The concrete team (sub contractor) said that the pool team (the one I hired) miss calculated the concrete by a big margin. They were expecting 1100 sq ft and finally is was 1600 sq ft. Not my problem since I am not the one that provided the measurements. In fact I even reduce the size in some area after the measurements...

44.jpg41.jpg42.jpg46.jpg43.jpg

Liner probably next week a day that is sunny and warm enough. The full project was supposed to be in August and my Pool guy said they received the liner just this week... crazy supply chain issues these days...
My project is similar, just a different order of events. In the spring I had the liner and liner track replaced. I had metal coping that had an intergraded liner track that had seen better days. So I it changed for a liner track that works with pavers. Before the liner replacement I replaced the light and skimmers and some of the plumbing. I then used the pool for the season and now in the process of redoing the remaining plumbing, electrical and pavers. Old pavers and concrete were demoed a few weeks ago and i got to digging for new electric and plumbing.

I ordered my liner in march and I think it was ready in late May. I had a few issues getting skimmers and a few other things, but was fortunate that nothing caused a delay. Only thing left to buy is a new diving board, but the old one will work fine till then.

My project is similar, just a different order of events. In the spring I had the liner and liner track replaced. I had metal coping that had an intergraded liner track that had seen better days. So I it changed for a liner track that works with pavers. Before the liner replacement I replaced the light and skimmers and some of the plumbing. I then used the pool for the season and now in the process of redoing the remaining plumbing, electrical and pavers. Old pavers and concrete were demoed a few weeks ago and i got to digging for new electric and plumbing.

I ordered my liner in march and I think it was ready in late May. I had a few issues getting skimmers and a few other things, but was fortunate that nothing caused a delay. Only thing left to buy is a new diving board, but the old one will work fine till then.
My new steps as well as one new pool wall panel were a month late. I though the the liner was already there and it is just today my Pool guy told me he just received it...

Glad everything went fine for you I am happy now that my project is progressing towards completion soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update without photo for now. *** Edit added some photo****

• Spa was received yesterday, electrician is coming tomorrow.
  • Pool was cleaned
  • Old liner removed
  • All imperfection grinded and grinded area where covered with primer
  • New tape was applied in all corners or new steps edges for protection and to smooth the surface
  • A new carpet was installed on the pool concrete floor for nice soft feel
  • New Liner was put in
  • Water filled until blower no longer required and continue the fill all night
  • Liner lock installed
  • Also during the day a bricklayer started installing the concrete block low wall

Pool they filled all day to be able to fill the pool faster once the liner was in
60.jpg

Pool guys installing the under liner carpet
61.jpg62.jpg

65.jpg

Last edited:
Update with some pictures. It is progressing well but not fully completed yet. Very few pool related stuff to complete more landscaping work to come.

For the Hot Tub since we need to ground wire all metal element in the 5' area, last evening was long. I needed to wire the fence posts and prepare to wire all section of the fence and stairs... Also the electricien was not sure the ground wire for the pool, shed equipment, hot tub was going back properly to the house main ground so he passed a new copper cable to connect back all this to my main pannel...

53.jpg58.jpg57.jpg50.jpg52.jpg

Last edited:
Posting a small update with new photos.
  • Concrete Block wall was is completed
  • Safety fence was reinstalled
  • New stair to make it quick to get to the hot tub was installed
  • New fire bowl, using old chairs until we buy a sectional
Now I have all winter to plan for new outdoor furniture, landscaping, landscaping lighting etc.

Even though I am look forward to next summer, we are already really enjoying the hot tub since temperature is between 20 to 45 these days make it perfect for it. We also already use the pool after the hot tub as a "cold" pool like in Scandinavian spa places and then relax next to the fire.

I am familiarizing myself with hot tub chemical using TFP process, using some stabilized pucks and then transition to bleach when CYA level is ok. It works perfectly so far.

80s.jpg83s.jpg86s.jpg87s.jpg88s.jpg89s.jpg90s.jpg

Hi everyone,

It is still winter here and a few feet of snow / ice is still covering my backyard but stores are starting to get 2022 outdoor furniture. Last two years because of Covid it was a challenge to get anything, supplies were lower vs the demand... so I am buying my summer furniture while people are still thinking about winter stuff...

This is what I bought so far:
  • Sectional for the fire pit area,
  • Extendable table with chairs (I only had a table that was sitting 4... Now I should manage 8 easy),
  • Lounger chairs.
Everything is in aluminum for rust free and light to move around.

Now I need to find a great 10'-12' cantilever umbrella for some shade. In fact I might need 2 umbrella, one cantilever that will pivot to cover either the table or the loungers and a regular one for the sectional / fire area. Other option would be to look for sail shades but not sure I want to install post for those...
KP0002_WH_A_ensemble_New_York_473d.jpg77004508_WH_B_table_extensible_aluminium_6d83.jpg7012314_1_7012314_wh_CHAISE_MO_2278.jpg
7013006_WH_A_chaise_longue_alu_noire_feac.jpg

Reactions: Newdude
Looks great! It looks like a brand new modern pool. The brushed concrete looks great.

Love the short retaining wall. Was it concrete pour with tile or blocks? Looks super modern. Thanks.

Looks great! It looks like a brand new modern pool. The brushed concrete looks great.

Love the short retaining wall. Was it concrete pour with tile or blocks? Looks super modern. Thanks.
Thanks for the feedback, I was lucky that even though my pool was not rectangle like new pools it has straight lines which make it look very modern with the renovation.
For the retaining wall those are blocks 18"L X 6" W X 4" H stuck over the concrete. I got a super deal for those 3,98 $CAD per block usually similar are sold closer to 10$ per block around here... another thing is that the blocks when they are dry (the lighter ones on the pictures) they are about the same color as my pool liner!

Update.
  • Pool open (still cold) 65 degree but perfect after getting out of the hot tub
  • Landscaping completed but still need to grow
  • Outdoor furniture installed. Still need to define where to put the barbecue...
  • Still need to do a concrete / retain wall clean-up and sealer
So I am pretty much done with my project and we are enjoying it very much!

Here many photos from all the angles.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg

Posting a small update with new photos.
  • Concrete Block wall was is completed
  • Safety fence was reinstalled
  • New stair to make it quick to get to the hot tub was installed
  • New fire bowl, using old chairs until we buy a sectional
Now I have all winter to plan for new outdoor furniture, landscaping, landscaping lighting etc.

Even though I am look forward to next summer, we are already really enjoying the hot tub since temperature is between 20 to 45 these days make it perfect for it. We also already use the pool after the hot tub as a "cold" pool like in Scandinavian spa places and then relax next to the fire.

I am familiarizing myself with hot tub chemical using TFP process, using some stabilized pucks and then transition to bleach when CYA level is ok. It works perfectly so far.

View attachment 381520View attachment 381521View attachment 381522View attachment 381523View attachment 381524View attachment 381525View attachment 381526
How does this fire bowl work?! Is the propane inside of it? Super cool!!Love your renovation!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.