Ferndale, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So I got my CYA up to 80 and my chlorine today was 3.5. I'm supposed to be a 4, so if I increase the percentage on my SWG, will that do it? Or do I need to add liquid?

Emily

With a Cya of 80 your target is 6 with a min of 4.

You can can use the calculator below to determine your % needed to get a rise of chlorine.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/122980-Formula-for-SWG-Pump-Runtime

If you have chlorine that is getting older or just want to get rid of you could also dose to get to 6 and then use the swg to maintain.

thanks, I was looking at minimum. I'll add some chlorine to get to 6 then and turn down my SWG. thank you!

You still need to increase the SWG to keep it at 6. The bleach addition just gets it there. You'll still lose 2-3 parts/day. Personally I run mine up to around 8-9 before I back it off a bit. Currently it is at 53%.

You still need to increase the SWG to keep it at 6. The bleach addition just gets it there. You'll still lose 2-3 parts/day. Personally I run mine up to around 8-9 before I back it off a bit. Currently it is at 53%.

Well I don’t mean turn it off but I had increased it to 60% and I don’t normally keep it that high. I went down to 40%. No one is swimming right now as it’s chilly. (Those are my options).

Well I don’t mean turn it off but I had increased it to 60% and I don’t normally keep it that high. I went down to 40%. No one is swimming right now as it’s chilly. (Those are my options).

You can only go in 20% increments? If so, I would still keep it at 60%. It's risky keeping it at the minimum. Basically it is free chlorine anyway. It is fine to swim up to SLAM levels.

I have a stenner setup, but if I had a SWG I would set the level to whatever maintains my FC at the target level without having to add other chlorine products. Though FC loss will usually go up and down with changing weather and swimmer load, you should be able to determine what level works best over time to maintain your target FC. When in doubt, err on the side of slightly higher FC. If you find your FC continuously drifting up over your target level, then it makes sense to dial down the SWG a bit. Eventually you will find the right setting for current seasonal conditions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.