Increase FC prior to swimmer load?

Wax03

Jun 15, 2016
Greenfield/WI
My second year with my seasonal intex pool(ez set 18' x42") Last year had a hard time keeping my levels in check, but this year everything is great thanks to you guys. Just wondering if I should increase my FC prior to a pool party or to just supplement after the party.

Current Levels:

FC - 4.6
CC - 0
pH - 7.8
CYA - 40
TA - 160
CH - 210

Last weekend I upped the FC to 6 prior to the swimmer load ( just for swim day), and the morning after FC was 1.8 (CC-0). Prior to the swim day, my FC was 100% stable for acouple of weeks now. With the 40 CYA I know I don't want the FC to really drop below 3. I'm in Wisconsin and it was in the upper 80's and sunny. 5 adults and a 1child - swimmers . Suggestions ? And if I should up the FC prior to the swim what would be a good FC . Thanks !

Bring it up to just under SLAM level. Depending on the length of party, try and test water if people are out having lunch or something. Add more bleach if needed. Then test when they leave, and bring it up to shock level for overnight.

What I do is test and dose bleach to the highest target level prior to guests arriving.

Then I do it again after they leave. I've never had the FC levels drop below minimum
doing it this way.

What I do is test and dose bleach to the highest target level prior to guests arriving.

Then I do it again after they leave. I've never had the FC levels drop below minimum
doing it this way.

I do this as well. I think the reason you saw FC fall below minimum was that it was working overnight. If you dose right after they leave I doubt you'll see it dip below minimum. (if you do, next time bump it higher beforehand)

My second year with my seasonal intex pool(ez set 18' x42") Last year had a hard time keeping my levels in check, but this year everything is great thanks to you guys. Just wondering if I should increase my FC prior to a pool party or to just supplement after the party.

Current Levels:

FC - 4.6
CC - 0
pH - 7.8
CYA - 40
TA - 160
CH - 210

Last weekend I upped the FC to 6 prior to the swimmer load ( just for swim day), and the morning after FC was 1.8 (CC-0). Prior to the swim day, my FC was 100% stable for acouple of weeks now. With the 40 CYA I know I don't want the FC to really drop below 3. I'm in Wisconsin and it was in the upper 80's and sunny. 5 adults and a 1child - swimmers . Suggestions ? And if I should up the FC prior to the swim what would be a good FC . Thanks !

absolutely. Welcome to advanced pool management... :cool: like the other two said, either bring it to just under shock level or to highest FC target level. I split the difference and just go about 5ppm above target level. Then test again once everyone leaves. As long as you dont go over shock / slam level you are fine.

The ugly side of "advanced pool management" involves judgement and blame. (that, and the loss of innocence: not being able to enjoy other pools anymore)

After I had 2 particular guests use the pool, FC loss and CC production went up drastically compared to other guests. Hmm, was "water" added to my pool, or were some personal hygiene issues at play? awkwaaaard......

When we have our kids (& their kids) over to swim, I raise FC to 20-25% of my CYA before & after the party.

Also if the kids are in the pool for a very long time (hour +) I make them take a break, which lets them go pee. I then run a FC/CC test and tell them "how long you stay out depends on how long 'urine' the pool". They all think the CC test is the 'PP' test (well, it kind of is). When I'm dripping the CC reagent I say "if it turns pink, you all stink".

They snicker and intensely watch me do the test.

I get such a charge out of this every time! The look on their faces while we all count to 5 together LOL!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.