Incomplete pool project

Consider changing out the heater for a Raypak 400K. They are the most recommended here by a few service folks for their simplicity of design and reliability.

The heater is the one piece of equipment that it makes no difference on the brand to work well with your automation. Only possible difference is the length of the warranty you may get on Raypak versus the Pentair by buying multiple pieces of that brand. But I'd still get Raypak if I had NG based on what I've seen discussed here.

In CA a typical pool installation with raised spa has a Booster pump dedicated for the Spa jets. The OP has 14 Spa jets and curious if a 2HP is sufficient, anyone?
The vacuum plumbing should be connected to the main pool pump suction side via 3-way Jandy valve. Normally, the skimmer and main drains are tied together in a single run and this should be connected to the other side of the Jandy valve in the suction. I would imagine two 3-way Jandy valve before the pool pump suction. 1)Skimmer & Maindrains or Cleaner/Vacuum. 2) Draw from Spa or Pool.

The return can only have 1 Jandy valve, Spa or Pool or Both. Also don't forget the check valves where applicable. Good luck!

I did not see any light fixture. What's up with that?

Leslie Pools came out and confirmed the booster pump is for the jets. 7 will be connected to the booster pump while the other 8 will be connected to the filtration pump. Total of 15 not 14 jets.

I was hoping somebody could tell me what to make of the following:
  1. We ran air through each line to figure out where everything was going
  2. We labeled each piece of PVC to document it
  3. Inside the jacuzzi we have 2 lines going to the same jets. The guy from Leslie Pools said one line is for water and the other is for air (venturi effect). I don't know how to identify which line was intended for water and which for air.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

It has been a while since my last post. We have spent most of our time getting our patio finished as the contractor left us with exposed framing. We were worried about the rain damaging the lumber. Fortunately we have final stucco going on it next week so now we can focus most of our attention on the pool.
I do have some questions:
1. The image below seems appropriate for what we are wanting but I don't quite understand the spa make up. When would we turn the spa make up valve off and I'm assuming this would be automated with our pentair automation correct?
EDPI-EQUIPMENT-SCHEMATICS-1.jpg
2. We are a little tight on space and one pool builder mentioned a powder coated rack to raise the heater and utilize the space below for the pumps. Any thoughts on this idea?
3. Why is skimmer listed twice on the diagram?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Just my recommendation as I have built several pools... I would post on CL or this board to see if you could get some local help.. ideally a site super or someone with professional pool building experience to come out and help guide you through the rest of your build. Just pay them for time here and there or a flat fee.

It is hard to learn all the details just reading online.

Unless you were just going to sub out the plumbing, plaster, electrical, decking etc. This will work best if you get contractors that specialize in pools.
The problem is that these same subs are building for other local pool builders that feed them business and your job may go to the bottom of the list.

If you could find a site super from an established pool builder they could make everything work for you.

If I was out in SO Cal I would come help you.

Blake

PS your plumbing diagram looks great. The spa make up is to either fill the spa or for spill over into the pool. All my pools have a return into the spa for spill over to the pool and to keep the spa from becoming stagnant.

- - - Updated - - -

Just one more quick note. If you are going to use any automation ie Pentair or Jandy I would stick with all Pentair or all Jandy equipment. Its just easier and all works together.

Others may have different opinions but I am very pleased with the Pentair Easytouch and Screen Logic products.

It also helps for any warranty issues to have a single vendor.

B

Hey BlakeUSA, Luckily the guy that was actually doing all the work for the contractor has agreed to help us finish. I just want to make sure I understand the system and how it works and have some input if the layout won't do what I want/need it to do without making significant changes later. The spa make up now makes sense. Thanks for explaining that. We do have pentair everything except for the valves. We were told by everyone that came out to go with Jandy valves. Hopefully we won't have problems. I'm definitely looking forward to the ease of use regarding the easytouch system.

Oh now that could work being that high up! Make sure the heater is SECURED and I mean SECURED so there is NO chance of it falling WHEN someone bumps into it. Unions on everything for when you need to do repairs or move it.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It has been a while since my last post. We have spent most of our time getting our patio finished as the contractor left us with exposed framing. We were worried about the rain damaging the lumber. Fortunately we have final stucco going on it next week so now we can focus most of our attention on the pool.
I do have some questions:
1. The image below seems appropriate for what we are wanting but I don't quite understand the spa make up. When would we turn the spa make up valve off and I'm assuming this would be automated with our pentair automation correct?
View attachment 75927
2. We are a little tight on space and one pool builder mentioned a powder coated rack to raise the heater and utilize the space below for the pumps. Any thoughts on this idea?
3. Why is skimmer listed twice on the diagram?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
That is exactly how our pool was plumbed. Except, we only have one skimmer with diverter plate Tee'd with the pool drains in a single run. And the opposite side of the valve is suction vacuum port. Having said that, we only have 2 diverter valves before the filter pump.
Like Kim mentioned above, the drawing depicts more than one skimmers.

Edit:
When would we turn the spa make up valve off and I'm assuming this would be automated with our pentair automation correct?
The position of the valves based on the drawing indicates the system is in both Pool Mode and spa spill over mode. When the spa make up valve is turned OFF, there will be no filtered water going back to the spa to create the spill over. The water will be drawn from the pool and returning back to the pool. The water in the spa will become stagnant. I don't have automation but others can chime in.

Last edited:
Go with the bigger filter if you can (CCP 520 vs 420), will help with having to clean it less often and it's an insignificant amount more. Looks like you'll be tight on space so might be a good idea so you have to get back there less often. Are you building some sort of wall between the equipment and the pool/spa? Its tough to tell from the pictures but I'd wonder how much taller you might have to make the wall if you do end up putting the heater on a rack over the pumps.

Also, seems like this forum generally recommends going with the VS pump and not the VF. That should save you a bit of money from what I see on pricing.

We are planning on building a wall. Max height allowed is 5'. I will need to check the dimensions of the heater to see if it will fit.

- - - Updated - - -

Meadow, thanks for the labels. That does help. I just need to confirm the skimmer and pool drains are plumbed separately to the equipment pad. I have pictures at home of the plumbing.

It's been a while since I posted an update on our pool. We actually finished our project and were able to swim in it on July 4, 2018. We have been enjoying it immensely since then. I do want to thank all or you on this forum for your insight, recommendations, and ideas. It has been extremely helpful. I will be posting pictures shortly.

Reactions: bmoreswim
VERY nice!

I like two things about your build:

Soft-ish corners on the coping stones. I always get the heeby-jeebies when I see pointy corners
jutting outward. I immediately think that I would slip, fall and head land on a sharp corner.
What you have looks much safer lol.

Also love the spa at the very end of the pool instead of sticking out and taking up swimming space.
I'm not a fan of spas, but If I had to get one in a build, that's exactly how it would be incorporated.

VERY nice!

I like two things about your build:

Soft-ish corners on the coping stones. I always get the heeby-jeebies when I see pointy corners
jutting outward. I immediately think that I would slip, fall and head land on a sharp corner.
What you have looks much safer lol.

Also love the spa at the very end of the pool instead of sticking out and taking up swimming space.
I'm not a fan of spas, but If I had to get one in a build, that's exactly how it would be incorporated.
Thanks borjis....I really do enjoy the spa. It does get a little chilly on occasion in California [I'm sure I will get grief about CA being chilly] so I like getting in there on those cooler nights.

Reactions: borjis
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.