In the process of SLAMming. I don't think my sand filter is working.

My SLAM lasted 23 days this year, so I feel your pain. I’m wondering if maybe it’s because of opening so late? It had more time to grow, idk. I definitely learned my lesson though. I’m fairly certain I’ll just keep it open all year from now on. I’m in East Texas, so that’s an option.

My SLAM lasted 23 days this year, so I feel your pain. I’m wondering if maybe it’s because of opening so late? It had more time to grow, idk. I definitely learned my lesson though. I’m fairly certain I’ll just keep it open all year from now on. I’m in East Texas, so that’s an option.
That is painful! I hope I get through this soon!

Its not the clamp, while cleaning you did not hold down the center pipe. It migrated up and sand is below the laterals. You will need to remove the sand resettle and refill the sand. Sorry.

I used a rubber mallet to tap the multiport down. Shocked the pool again at dusk. In the morning, no chlorine loss but still algae at bottom of pool. Vacuumed to waste again. Had to add more water again. This is almost a daily process. Isn't replacing water this often changing ph levels and cya levels on a daily basis? If ph levels are unreliable at shock levels, how do I know how the ph level is affecting the chlorine? If it takes cya up to a few days to dissolve entirely, and I'm having to add more every few days, how do I get an accurate reading of that? Should I check cya level before every addition of chlorine? Twice a day? I am in a vicious cycle that isn't ending. How is algae growing overnight without any chlorine being used? Should I add even more chlorine than suggested overnight?

I used a rubber mallet to tap the multiport down. Shocked the pool again at dusk. In the morning, no chlorine loss but still algae at bottom of pool. Vacuumed to waste again. Had to add more water again. This is almost a daily process. Isn't replacing water this often changing ph levels and cya levels on a daily basis? If ph levels are unreliable at shock levels, how do I know how the ph level is affecting the chlorine? If it takes cya up to a few days to dissolve entirely, and I'm having to add more every few days, how do I get an accurate reading of that? Should I check cya level before every addition of chlorine? Twice a day? I am in a vicious cycle that isn't ending. How is algae growing overnight without any chlorine being used? Should I add even more chlorine than suggested overnight?
Vacuum to waste is for enormous gobs of soggy compost that would clog things in minutes. Or floc. For a small amount of dead algae, just vacuum through the filter. Do you care if it gets there by being stirred up and taken through the skimmer or if it gets sucked up by the vacuum? Starts the same place, ends the same place, chemistry remains unchanged.

Vacuum to waste is for enormous gobs of soggy compost that would clog things in minutes. Or floc. For a small amount of dead algae, just vacuum through the filter. Do you care if it gets there by being stirred up and taken through the skimmer or if it gets sucked up by the vacuum? Starts the same place, ends the same place, chemistry remains unchanged.
I don't think this algae is dead. I know you said only dead algae clumps together like that, but I thought dead algae is supposed to be milky looking? Also, algae grows best in the dark correct? The pool floor stays clean all day and it only reappears overnight with no overnight chlorine loss, so if the chlorine was killing it as it grew at night wouldn't there be a chlorine loss? I have plenty of daylight chlorine loss, even with cya level at 30. I am even questioning my cya testing ability and have ordered a standard so I can double check. Thank you so much for your suggestions and patience with me. I am losing my patience at this point 😂. If I can vac to filter it would alleviate some of my frustration, I just keep reading that you shouldn't vac live algae into the filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Windylou, how did you maintain your sanity for 23 days? Did you at least see noticeable progress each day?

If you are only checking and raising FC to SLAM level twice daily, it is going to take longer. If you can do it more often, that would help.

Reactions: afbatts
I have no idea where you read you shouldn't vacuum up algae.

The SLAM Process article says
  • Brush and vacuum the entire pool once a day
  • Backwash or clean the filter as needed
  • Vacuum up debris as needed

Nowhere in there does the word "waste" appear. Individuals may suggest vacuum to waste because of high CYA requiring water replacement anyway, or massive amounts of debris, but many people -- myself included -- have no waste option. My filter has backwash and filter. Period. People with cartridge filters don't even have that!

So just vacuum up the debris. When the water stays clear and the CC and OCLT tests pass, you're done.

Dead algae looks like grayish brownish dirt. In other words, exactly what you are seeing in your pool.

Be patient. Brush daily. Run pump, watching the pressure and backwashing if it rises 25% of normal. Test FC and raise to SLAM level several times daily. Make sure your CYA results are accurate so that you are using the right FC threshold.

And be patient. I know it’s easier to say than to do, but remember, we have all been there.

Reactions: nasparkles
Windylou, how did you maintain your sanity for 23 days? Did you at least see noticeable progress each day?
I worked a lot.lol. Plus we had graduation, so I was busy. Couldn’t really see daily progress. It’s best to take pics in the same location at the same time each day. That’s how I see progress. The last week and a half my pool was crystal clear, it just couldn’t pass the overnight test.

I have no idea where you read you shouldn't vacuum up algae.

The SLAM Process article says

Nowhere in there does the word "waste" appear. Individuals may suggest vacuum to waste because of high CYA requiring water replacement anyway, or massive amounts of debris, but many people -- myself included -- have no waste option. My filter has backwash and filter. Period. People with cartridge filters don't even have that!

So just vacuum up the debris. When the water stays clear and the CC and OCLT tests pass, you're done.
Okay, got it! Thanks again so much!

Today is Monday. As of Friday morning, my pool bottom was finally clear! I boosted the chlorine up to mustard algae levels for 24 hours and Saturday morning, all looked wonderful. We bleached the ladder and pool floats and put them in the pool Saturday evening. Chlorine level was still around 10 Saturday night to Sunday morning. Checked chemical levels, TA 110, CYA 25, pH 7.8. Added some Cyanuric Acid to get level up to 35-40. Set the pool pump to run for 12 hours overnight instead of 24/7. Got a little swimming in on Sunday and continued to let the chlorine level drift down to normal levels. It was 7.5 Sunday night, 7.0 when I checked it around 10:30 am. this morning. Sadly, after 3 glorious mornings of seeing zero algae on the bottom of the pool, it was there again when I checked the pool today. It is too late for me to vacuum right now, so I suppose I will vacuum and scrub again when I get home from work this evening, and back to shock level again. Any other suggestions?

Today is Monday. As of Friday morning, my pool bottom was finally clear! I boosted the chlorine up to mustard algae levels for 24 hours and Saturday morning, all looked wonderful. We bleached the ladder and pool floats and put them in the pool Saturday evening. Chlorine level was still around 10 Saturday night to Sunday morning. Checked chemical levels, TA 110, CYA 25, pH 7.8. Added some Cyanuric Acid to get level up to 35-40. Set the pool pump to run for 12 hours overnight instead of 24/7. Got a little swimming in on Sunday and continued to let the chlorine level drift down to normal levels. It was 7.5 Sunday night, 7.0 when I checked it around 10:30 am. this morning. Sadly, after 3 glorious mornings of seeing zero algae on the bottom of the pool, it was there again when I checked the pool today. It is too late for me to vacuum right now, so I suppose I will vacuum and scrub again when I get home from work this evening, and back to shock level again. Any other suggestions?
Since you raised your CYA level, raise your FC level. It's not quite gone :) FC/CYA Levels You can swim with FC up to SLAM level for your CYA level

Reactions: nasparkles

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.