In the process of SLAMming. I don't think my sand filter is working.

I've been chugging along, shocked until it was gone, but as soon as the chlorine drifts back to normal range it grows right back. Think I'm just going to shock weekly and vac daily in the hopes that it doesn't grow too fast (it probably will). At the end of the pool season, I can SLAM again but thinking I should hold the mustard algae levels for more than 24 hours? We have followed all of the SLAM directions at this point (twice), we have deep cleaned the sand, backwashed as needed, vacuumed the floor daily, brushed the walls daily, cleaned the ladder(if algae is inside of the ladder, I don't know what I'm supposed to do about that) and pool floats before we put them in the water, left them in the water for shocking. I don't know what this stuff is, all I know is that it grows, because if I don't keep it at shock level it continues to grow more each day.

I've been chugging along, shocked until it was gone, but as soon as the chlorine drifts back to normal range it grows right back. Think I'm just going to shock weekly and vac daily in the hopes that it doesn't grow too fast (it probably will). At the end of the pool season, I can SLAM again but thinking I should hold the mustard algae levels for more than 24 hours? We have followed all of the SLAM directions at this point (twice), we have deep cleaned the sand, backwashed as needed, vacuumed the floor daily, brushed the walls daily, cleaned the ladder(if algae is inside of the ladder, I don't know what I'm supposed to do about that) and pool floats before we put them in the water, left them in the water for shocking. I don't know what this stuff is, all I know is that it grows, because if I don't keep it at shock level it continues to grow more each day.
I would just keep it at SLAM for a few days even after it’s passed all the tests. Honestly, I’d probably do a week extra. I’m all about the overkill.lol. I don’t recall, did you try the DE in your filter? It’s probably not relevant if you’re still seeing the algae. I know you said you had bleached everything, have you taken it out, bleached & sundried it? Baking in the hot sun for days will kill it.

I would just keep it at SLAM for a few days even after it’s passed all the tests. Honestly, I’d probably do a week extra. I’m all about the overkill.lol. I don’t recall, did you try the DE in your filter? It’s probably not relevant if you’re still seeing the algae. I know you said you had bleached everything, have you taken it out, bleached & sundried it? Baking in the hot sun for days will kill

We bleached everything before we put it in the pool, and have left the stairs and floats in the water at shock levels for 2 days. Haven't removed everything and bleached again. We typically have the floaties out drying in the sun. I think next time I SLAM, I will go ahead and leave shock at mustard algae levels for a few additional days, a week would be more comforting, but I have been told I could do damage to the liner at those higher levels for a sustained period of time. Right now my current plan is going decently. I shocked on Sunday evening and have topped off chlorine nightly to keep the level on the high side of normal, still see a few spots of algae, but it isn't spreading, so it is manageable. Just hard for me to accept seeing it at all, because I'm obsessive about my pool being perfectly clean. Too bad I wasn't as obsessive about the chlorine level dropping last year...probably could have avoided the issue all together! Live and learn! The hard way 😂

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it look like this? (picture attached). It sounds like you and I have have the same exact pain. I have something similar to what you are describing-levels are perfect, pool is crystal clear, but after I run the filter for 30 mins or more, I get this stuff. Has been happening for a couple seasons now! I have basically given up and just vacuum it up when I see it (I also have a new ladder and just changed the sand last week). I went insane SLAMing last year and it always came back, I literally have no idea what it is and was about to make a post about it.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 19
Does it look like this? (picture attached). It sounds like you and I have have the same exact pain. I have something similar to what you are describing-levels are perfect, pool is crystal clear, but after I run the filter for 30 mins or more, I get this stuff. Has been happening for a couple seasons now! I have basically given up and just vacuum it up when I see it (I also have a new ladder and just changed the sand last week). I went insane SLAMing last year and it always came back, I literally have no idea what it is and was about to make a post about it.
Wow, I just now saw this post lol. Yes, I think we have the same issue. My problem never really cleared up, I've just tried to keep it under control. We even got a brand new liner last year and I thought I was starting with a clean slate. 3 days after they installed it, it came right back lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.