In SLAM process

I haven’t seen liquid stabilizer at Walmart or any of the big box stores. Only dry, usually Clorox brand in 4# containers.

I haven’t looked at Walmart for MA. I usually head to the paint section for it at Lowe’s, ace hardware, Home Depot....

I've seen CYA/Stabilizer at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. With a CYA of 10, I would still buy some to get it up even if you also use your leftover pucks.

Reactions: Tracey R
You can use Dichlor and trichlor to increase CYA, and you are right, it will be slow. I’m floating some trichlor this week to up my levels and help bring down pH. We usually get granular CYA at Walmart, but it was harder to find this year. (Maybe I was looking earlier than most). I think I saw some recently at Home Depot. It was called conditioner, I think. I once asked about it at a pool store, and it was double the cost.

Home Depot also has double packs of muriatic acid around the corner from the pool chlorine (sort of the back wall of the garden center). If your fill water is like mine, the TA is around 290. That puts a lot of upward pressure on pH.

Tracy,
I'm so happy for you! You made it thru the whole ordeal and reclaim your pool!
As for your questions:
- pucks are best to use when you can't do liquid chlorine (vacation, out of town, etc.)
- put a sock over your return to find out if sand is coming out your filter.
It's possible that laterals in your filter are broken/damaged and sand from filter is getting in.
Another possibility is that this is actually dead algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since I have an eyeball return do you have any tricks for keeping a sock on there?

Also, it’s a trade secret (per the SDS sheets) as to how much muriatic acid isn’t in this. I’m also wondering if this will even work. I’m afraid it has other additives I don’t want in the pool.

Any advice?

Attachments

• 43A623E6-83D2-48C6-8831-81AC75497767.jpeg
    43A623E6-83D2-48C6-8831-81AC75497767.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 19
Since I have an eyeball return do you have any tricks for keeping a sock on there?
Your eyeball return have a front plate that you can unscrew (counterclockwise) and remove temporarily along with eyeball. You should be able to secure sock to exposed threads with zip ties or nylon string or something like that. Another option, if you have flexible outlet hose from your filter, is to disconnect it at return fitting (make sure you plug or cover it from pool side first), secure sock to end of that hose and slung it over pool wall and rig it so it won't fall out.

I won't put much stress on a pump if that's what you asking. It's probably the same as running slightly dirty filter. The only thing is, your flow might be too high and it might blow it off.
You can try women knee high socks if you have any.
I have 2 speed pump and I normally have it running on low speed unless I vacuum. I put 2 micron "sock" over my return hose to get rid of fine dirt on my floor. It worked fine with my pump on low speed.

It certainly is. Many TFPers prefer it to the full strength stuff due to lower fumes.
Tracey, I was deathly afraid of using MA. Now I feel like a pro. I use gloves, safety glasses, and the full strength MA from home depot.

I never measure into cup since I've always been good at eyeballing amounts. I get everything ready and hold my breath while taking off the lid and pouring. If I can't get it all in at once, I cap it, take another breath and finish.

The first time I used it was a virtually windless day, but I still got a dose of fumes, uh uh, no way, for me it was horrible. Holding my breath works a treat. I've never spilled any thanks to tfp instructions on floating the bottle.

I probably pour a bit faster than recommended, but I have the brush ready to go and mix very well as soon as I've capped it. I thought about using the lesser strength, but liked the idea of getting it done faster.

Great job on clearing up your pool, it looks amazing now?

@Kellyp Thanks!!
I don't measure by cups either. I dump by the 25% of bottle etc.

I'll have to look into floating the bottle. I have gotten very good at not having a splash from all the LC I've put in so I just did that with the MA also.

I simply poured the MA into the pool. Am I not supposed to do that into the pool as I do with LC?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.